G'day

Options
Hi Folks...been using myfitnesspal for a while now, but just started posting.

I was a Security Officer for the federal government in Ottawa, Canada prior to moving to the US. I was 5'11", 165lbs. When I moved to the US in 1999, parts of my lifestyle changed, while others didn't.

Exercise was a significant portion of my job. When I did graveyards, I had to patrol 5 buildings which meant an ungodly number of stairs and miles walked every day. To top it off, I not only worked downtown, I also lived downtown, so I often went weeks without even driving my car.

After moving to the US, I took a job as a network and security administrator, and found that Southern California made it very difficult to include exercise as a normal, regular part of your daily activity. You had to "go" to the gym, or "go" for a walk...you couldn't really just walk downtown to do your shopping, and then walk home, like I could back east. Additionally, I got married when I moved here, and so the active lifestyle I used to live went out the window.

Eating was done out of convenience...food coaches, fast food joints, etc. I didn't eat regularly and I didn't eat healthy. I was used to burning a lot of calories during the day, but then almost overnight went down to zero exercise, while eating significant quantities of food. Downtown Ottawa had a lot of "Organic" type places that were open all hours of the night. Pita Palace served mostly vegetarian type stuffed pita's, and there were many other restaraunts like it that suited my rotating shift schedule. Here in Orange County, if I am working nights, the ONLY restaraunt open at 3 am that is close at hand is Del Taco.

I'm really hoping to be able to just accomplish a portion of what I used to do...and lose most of the weight gained. I'll never be 165 lbs again, but would like to lose 90, or 100 of the pounds I had gained. I look forward to getting back on the slopes, hiking, biking and swimming.

Replies

• Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the family. This is a wonderful place to be.
  • SARAHWALKER25
    Options
    OOOO Del Taco!! My most missed resturant since moving from OC to Tennessee!! Glad theres not one anywhere close becuase I love there chicken soft tacos!! LOL Good luck to you!
  • alexm205
    Options
    Pleasure knowing you! Let's keep it up!