Sugar after a workout?

Izumimon
Izumimon Posts: 24 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Right after a workout there's nothing I crave more than a glass of iced cocoa (2 tsp cocoa, 2 tsp sugar, 3 tsp milk, 1 cup water + ice). I'm just wondering if I should be avoiding sugar at this time - I'm new to regular exercise and am still trying to find my groove, and I know it would be better to drink water, but...this seems like not THAT bad a craving. Does anyone think there's a big problem with me drinking a bottle of water and then a glass of cocoa right after I finish up at the gym?

Replies

• Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Replace the sugar with a no calorie sweetener and the milk with non-fat milk (milk as lots of sugar in it). This will help your sugar craving and reduce the amount of sugar you are getting a day. I have a really hard time with the sugar thing. I had a cup of non fat milk with my cereal and a banana this morning and went over on my sugar intake for the day. I'm not adding any refined sugar to my diet at all. I get all of my sugar from the foods I eat which is not refined sugar for the most part.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Having sugar immediately after working out is great, especially if you are lifting weights. The sugar replaces your glycogen stores, which get depleted during a workout. It's pretty much the only time sugar is actually good for you.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Having sugar immediately after working out is great, especially if you are lifting weights. The sugar replaces your glycogen stores, which get depleted during a workout. It's pretty much the only time sugar is actually good for you.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!

Edit: just to clarify, I agree with the poster below this - you need the protein too. Both protein + carbs after the workout. I didn't mean to imply that sugar-only was a good idea.
  • I have to disagree.

YOU need protein after a workout.
  • Izumimon
    With that said, I also try to have a protein shake as soon as I get home. I'm just looking at the 15 minutes or so between finishing the workout and walking in the door and getting out the blender. :)
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    I have to disagree.

YOU need protein after a workout.

Well, it depends. On calories expended. Plus the body is primed for absorption, carbs help increase it. A low burn, protein and several carbs is fine, big burn 4:1 ratio carbs to protein.
  • Having a simple carb (sugar) is great to restore glycogen depletion after a workout! With that being said you should also have protein with it. Try adding a scoop of protein powder to your shake for post workout then an hour or so after have your next meal. Simple sugars post workout can also be fruit or something like 2 rice cakes. I would avoid any types of artificial sweeteners. I have found in my experience that using a lot of these sweeteners, because they are extremely sweet, actually make you crave sugar more and also make it harder to lose weight.
  • Protein + Simple Carbs = Happy muscles. I always try to consume a fair amount of protein (30-40 grams) and some simple carbs (white bread, chocolate syrup, maple syrup, etc.) for the reasons already highlighted by NoAdditives. Just don't go overboard. I'd say that your iced cocoa would be perfect if you replaced the water with milk, or maybe added some chocolate protein powder to the mix. There are some delicious protein powders out there.

A banana or apple would also be good, either in your shake or in addition to the shake.
  • Izumimon
    Thanks a bunch for the replies. :)
This discussion has been closed.