Starving myself?

Options
2»

Replies

• mtwd65
    mtwd65 Posts: 51
    Options
    It gives you a warning if your gross cals is less than 1200.

It doesn't give you a warning if your net cals are less than 1200.

IMO it should as it is essentially the same result.

(BTW I don't know how you people don't get hungry! I usually eat 1200 by lunch time :P)

I don't know about anyone else but I'm a petite 5'2" and 1200 is enough for me for a day.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    No one should be taking "guidance" from this site in any way.

i see you have an educated background and are probably basing this statement on what you know. but i have to argue what you are stating - thousands of us have taken it upon ourselves to reach our personal goals buy doing this very thing - taking 'guidance' from this website. that is what we are here for - to figure out what we need to do in order to get to where we need to be, aka guidance.

yes MFP is programmed a certain way - to GUIDE people in the right direction based on calculations and facts. maybe it doesn't have a human brain, but it is much smarter than you give it credit for.

if what you say is true, then WTH is anyone here, including you? :huh:

I come for the charming company.........
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    No one should be taking "guidance" from this site in any way.

i see you have an educated background and are probably basing this statement on what you know. but i have to argue what you are stating - thousands of us have taken it upon ourselves to reach our personal goals buy doing this very thing - taking 'guidance' from this website. that is what we are here for - to figure out what we need to do in order to get to where we need to be, aka guidance.

yes MFP is programmed a certain way - to GUIDE people in the right direction based on calculations and facts. maybe it doesn't have a human brain, but it is much smarter than you give it credit for.

I come for the charming company.........

*rolls eyes*
    whateve
  • 2bfitforever
    2bfitforever Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    What exactly is the message? I have been below 1200 calories before and I have not received that message.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options

I have to agree with both of you, actually. This site is fantastic for support and encouragement, and it is also wonderful as a tool to keep track of your efforts and help you stay on track. However, the information on this site is largely entered by users. The opinions in the community are just that... opinions. The calorie information in the database is not always accurate. This is a fabulous resource, but each person needs to also take the time to do their own research and/or speak with professional nutritionists and/or fitness coaches in order to determine what they need to do for their own health. I think that is the sort of *guidance* he was referring to. You can't get that from this site.
  • SarahRuth♥
    Options
    It gives you a warning if your gross cals is less than 1200.

It doesn't give you a warning if your net cals are less than 1200.

IMO it should as it is essentially the same result.

(BTW I don't know how you people don't get hungry! I usually eat 1200 by lunch time :P)

Thanks! I guess I really should just pay closer attention. I don't remember getting that message every time my calories were under 1200. Then again... it doesn't happen that often!

As to how we don't get hungry... men, as a general rule, need more calories than women. 1200 is typically quite enough for me, provided I make the right choices!
  • SarahRuth♥
    Options
    What exactly is the message? I have been below 1200 calories before and I have not received that message.

It shows up on the page when you complete your diary. Right in the area where it tells you that "If every day were like today in 5 weeks you would weigh...". It's actually a whole paragraph telling you that you are not eating enough and are going to starve yourself.
  • lorinjer
    lorinjer Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I do not eat my exercise calories back, mainly because I'm not hungry and I got overweight by eating when I wasn't hungry so I'm not going to do it. I eat 4 or 5 times a day, small meals and even with exercise , I'm not hungry after eating like that. When talking to my doctor about it, he told me to listen to my own body.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options

I have to agree with both of you, actually. This site is fantastic for support and encouragement, and it is also wonderful as a tool to keep track of your efforts and help you stay on track. However, the information on this site is largely entered by users. The opinions in the community are just that... opinions. The calorie information in the database is not always accurate. This is a fabulous resource, but each person needs to also take the time to do their own research and/or speak with professional nutritionists and/or fitness coaches in order to determine what they need to do for their own health. I think that is the sort of *guidance* he was referring to. You can't get that from this site.

thanks. i got that from him too, but at the same time the way he worded it seemed vague and un-encouraging to me. IDK, maybe it was late and i wanted to stick up for MFP, one of my BFF's. LOL! i certainly did not post to be a jerk or anything and have recently been seeing people who say things that are kind of heartless. maybe i was being ultra sensitive. sorry to hijack your thread!! :flowerforyou:
  • SarahRuth♥
    Options

thanks. i got that from him too, but at the same time the way he worded it seemed vague and un-encouraging to me. IDK, maybe it was late and i wanted to stick up for MFP, one of my BFF's. LOL! i certainly did not post to be a jerk or anything and have recently been seeing people who say things that are kind of heartless. maybe i was being ultra sensitive. sorry to hijack your thread!! :flowerforyou:

I didn't think you were being a jerk. And I only quoted you (rather than both of you) because I was typing on my phone and the community part of this site is not very mobile friendly yet. No worries. :)

I don't think he's un-encouraging, I think he's just a blunt, to the point person. :D