Some good info from Jillian Michaels

Options
2»

Replies

• YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Good post. Just be cautious as your BMI falls into a healthy range. Doing cardio in the morning and at night is great advice however.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,743 Member
    Options
    Ladyhawk, the argument Jillian is making is that you should eat your BMR, but you don't have to eat your exercise calories.

Actually, Jillian says to eat 1,500 calories with a BMR of 1,600 without exercise. Then she says to burn an additional 1,000 calories and not eat those either. :noway:

Straight from the letter:
    Think about the math: If you are eating 1,500 calories a day — we assume your BMR without exercise is 1,600 (this is actually my BMR) — and you do two 1-hour cardio sessions that burn 500 calories each (one in the morning and one at night), the two sessions, along with your regular daily activity, will speed up your base metabolism to at least 2,000. As a result, you will have burned about 1,500 calories that day — that is, almost half a pound. At that rate you will be losing up to 3.5 pounds a week.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Think about the math: If you are eating 1,500 calories a day — we assume your BMR without exercise is 1,600 (this is actually my BMR) — and you do two 1-hour cardio sessions that burn 500 calories each (one in the morning and one at night), the two sessions, along with your regular daily activity, will speed up your base metabolism to at least 2,000. As a result, you will have burned about 1,500 calories that day — that is, almost half a pound. At that rate you will be losing up to 3.5 pounds a week.

Ok, I have no idea if you are supposed to eat exercise calories or not, but I am really confused by these numbers. Can someone help me understand what she is trying to say?

+1500 (calories eaten) - 1600 BMR = -100 calories, -1000 (exercise calories) = -1100, she then says that this with your daily activity will will speed your base metabilism up to 2000. So to equal the 1500 calorie deficit she predicts daily, does that mean burning 1000 calories a day will increase your daily activity calorie burn from 1600 to 2000? Not counting the 1000 extra you burn in your exercise?
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

Ok, I have no idea if you are supposed to eat exercise calories or not, but I am really confused by these numbers. Can someone help me understand what she is trying to say?

+1500 (calories eaten) - 1600 BMR = -100 calories, -1000 (exercise calories) = -1100, she then says that this with your daily activity will will speed your base metabilism up to 2000. So to equal the 1500 calorie deficit she predicts daily, does that mean burning 1000 calories a day will increase your daily activity calorie burn from 1600 to 2000? Not counting the 1000 extra you burn in your exercise?

Yes, so first of all I believe bmr was a typo. She meant daily calorie burn or maintenance cals. She weighs 5lbs less and is the same height as me so i know her bmr is closer to 1300, it's 1600 with sedentary to light levels ofactivity. So you have -1100 with the exercise and the slight calorie deficit over maintenance, then getting your heart rate up twice a day increases your metabolism because of after burn. So you end up around the negative 1500 cause you add the extra 400 in.
  • tshahady
    tshahady Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The following describe the various risks inherent in LCDs and VLCDs (eating below BMR, typically), especially without supervision of a doctor and dietician. And these are mostly for obese/morbidly obese people - The dangers for a relatively lean person can be far higher.

Ladyhawk, the argument Jillian is making is that you should eat your BMR, but you don't have to eat your exercise calories. I looked at all the articles you cited and they were all about the dangers of very low calories. There wasn't a single study in which the subject ate their BMR calories and did additional exercise to drop more weight, ie nothing about net calories or eating exercise calories. She doesn't advise eating below your bmr so she would agree with all the papers you posted.

I am still waiting for proof you have to eat your exercise calories. So far, all I have seen is proof that Jillian knows how to get people lean.:flowerforyou:

This is my BIGGEST problem - what to do w/ my exercise calories!! I started hard on Jan. 10th - trying to lose 15 lbs. before my big 4-0 in March. The first two weeks - I was pretty much stalled in starvation mode. When I look back I was barely eating 1,000 calories "NET". The third week I worked diligently to eat at least 1200 "NET" calories. I typically workout 6 days a week of the 6 days 4 are double workout days. I burn anywhere from 500-1,000 calories. My daily caloric goal is 1,400. So damn, confusing!!!