How do I counteract too much sodium?

Options
Since being on MFP, I'm noticing that sodium really causes a lot of bloating for me. So, I'm definitely trying to reduce my sodium intake. However, several days I've gone over. What can I do to counteract the sodium and its bloating effects? Just lots of water? Thanks!

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    The two things you can do are lots of water and increase your potassium intake. Potassium helps offset excess sodium as well. Try orange juice, milk, and bananas as good sources of potassium.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Lots of water was always my solution, though I don't think I've dealt with a lot of bloating issues. I also found the following site:

http://bloating-remedies.com/anti-bloating-foods/
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Water is a great start. Add to that potassium and you'll be set! I don't all the science, by the potassium bonds with the excess sodium and makes it easier to be flushed. At least that's how I understood the bio teacher's explanation.

Potassium is found in whole foods (fruits, veggies, etc.). The LESS processing the food has been through, the MORE potassium it will have. Don't think JUST bananas. Cantelope, spinach, and a plethra of other foods have a bunch!

HTH!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Are potassium supplements effective? I find that I can't get in enough fruits/veggies to get enough potassium (this has always been a problem for me, possibly related to the diabetes).
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Actually, the potassium triggers the kidneys to excrete more sodium so it can be flushed out. :)
  • EAMac
    EAMac Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks! I'll definitely try to watch my intake better and try to include some more potassium-rich foods in my diet.
  • freeDante
    Options
    Chemistry nerd here - Potassium doesn't bond with Sodium!

The reason that extra potassium helps offset high levels of sodium is because your cells have a "pump" that take in potassium and kick out sodium! The pump need to have the potassium to work, or else they won't be able to kick out the sodium. Once the sodium is out of the cells, your body can excrete it via urine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Na+/K+-ATPase
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    water
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Salt substitute is made of potassium. It isn't always good for cooking, but it does a great job at the table. Leave salt out of the food you cook, and add salt or salt substitute at the table. Be wary of prepackaged foods and restaurant foods, They are often very high in sodium. Read labels. And drink lots of water.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Are potassium supplements effective? I find that I can't get in enough fruits/veggies to get enough potassium (this has always been a problem for me, possibly related to the diabetes).

Do you like V8 or tomato juice? Tons of potassium.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Spinach, white potato, meat (chicken & beef) are all excellent sources, much more so than banana's.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    water , sweat , cardio , repeat! :)
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    oh cardio sweat water repeat
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Ingest more potassium as well if you know you've gone nuts on the salt. Grab a banana or something.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Wow! Possibly the oldest zombie thread I've ever seen
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Coconut water has loads of potassium.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Thanks. This is helpful to me as well.
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options

I take a supplement plus include avocados and spinach in my diet when I can. I also drink heaps of water 3-4L/day which keeps me flushed.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Woah! The original post is nearly three years old! How did that happen?!