Lunch ideas??

Options
I struggle with lunch. I hate to eat at work and have no way to heat up anything. So I mostly eat fast food which I know is not good. I try to get a salad but I can only take that about once a week and I hate paying 6 bucks for a salad. Any ideas? I need something easy to prepare in the morning because doing the night before just aint gonna happen. I also need something that doesn't need heating or refrigeration. OK I gave you all a lot of criteria, but I have seen response to others and I know you are up to the challenge. Thanks for all your help in advance.

:bigsmile:

Replies

• hallybell
    hallybell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What about a whole wheat reduced fat peanut butter/sugar free jelly sandwich with an apple or banana?
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    There's lots of things you can store at work. Whole wheat bread and low fat peanut butter. I think starkist makes a tuna lunch pack that doesn't need to be refrigerated either. If you work in a cubicle I highly recommend investing in a small fridge, it's been a huge help for me.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I had a job once where I had to bring lunches that couldn't be heated or stored in a refrigerator. I did a lot of sandwiches and wraps. I'd take a container with the veggies all cut up in one section, the hummus or mayo in another, and then the bread or wrap in another. I find that sandwiches or wraps premade with the vegetables and condiments get all soggy. They're not hard to make the night before either.. and then just throw in some snacks like an apple with peanut butter, granola bar, veggies and dip..
  • mtwd65
    mtwd65 Posts: 51
    Options
    Get an insulated lunch box/bag with an iceblock. That works for the school kids on 40 degree days so that takes care of the lack of fridge until lunch time. I use a soft bag that is big enough for a 6 pack of beer with a freezer block.

My lunches consist of various salads such as:
    coucous with dried fruits, parsley and pinenuts,
    beans with egg, tomato, tuna, potato and baby spinach
    steamed chicken with lettuce bean shoots basil capsicum and cherry tomatoes

other options include:
    a sandwich or roll (don't add tomato until you are about to eat it so that it doesn't go soggy)
    Wraps full of last night's leftovers
    pasta with a tuna or meat sauce (I eat it cold so do the kids)
    an antipasto box
    rissotto is also nice cold. (pumpkin and pea, chicken and mushroom etc)

look up lunchbox ideas in Australia. 90% of kids take a cut lunch to school and there are heaps of websites with lunchbox ideas as health is one of the hot topics here.
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hi

There are lots of good ideas already posted here.

Another option is a lunch container [a friend of mine has one, as she cannot heat up her lunch either and likes to bring warm lunches now and then]. The lid of the container is microwaveable and keeps the food warm for at least 4 hours.

I stock my office drawer with low fat pnut butter, low fat whole grain crackers, instant oatmeal -plain or low sugar [add fresh berries or a yogurt to it], cans of low sodium soup [I don't drink the broth], and tuna.

A coworker of mine teaches Weight Watchers meetings, and she brings, a large cooler to work each day stocked with salad veggies, hummos, bottles of water, etc.

Good luck!
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    First thing you need to do, is invest in a thermal insulated lunch bag. I bring refrigerated items in my bag, and when I go to eat lunch, they're still fresh and cold. I bought mine at Target.... it was about $12.

Now, on what to eat. I go once a week to the grocery store and buy the "Ready Pack" salads (reg price $3.99, on sale for $2.99 at my local store -- 7 or 8 varieties). I get a great Chicken Caeser salad that's only 260 calories. To get extra protein for my gym visits, I eat hard boiled egg whites (I don't like the yolks -- and all the cals and cholesterol is in the yolk). I hard boil 10 at a time, and take 2 per day to work. I also pack some carrots and raw sugar snap peas, followed by a peach or a pear for dessert. The carrots and sugar snap peas come in ready to eat bags. I just weigh them out on my handy-dandy food scale and pop them into zip lock baggies.

It takes me less than 5 mins to pack my breakfast and lunch every morning. Breakfast is greek yogurt and a serving of dry cereal -- I keep the measuring scoop in the cereal bag. One scoop into a baggie and then pop it into the lunch sack.

The only real trick is to plan ahead. You can't hardboil an egg that morning, you have to do it in advance. Salads don't get into the fridge by osmosis... you have to pick them up the day before. Same for the veggies and fruit.... plan it out in advance. Do you want bell pepper strips? Slice them the night before and store them in a container with water.

Just plan ahead and take the 5 minutes to throw stuff together for your day.
  • katjohn83
    katjohn83 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas. Thanks.

Most though were salads veggies and fruits.

I know I need these but if I do that kind of lunch for a week, my body starts heavy fat cravings and I wind up getting a burger which just ruined everything I have done, gets me depressed which causes me to continue to eat wrong and before you know it I am off the wagon.

Some balanced carbs/fat/protein ideas would be great as well.
  • allie_00
    Options
    In my experience, protein and fiber tends to curb hunger cravings. Oatmeal and boiled eggs area great and are sometimes overlooked for lunch.

How about one of these meals (add a salad or whatever veg/fruit combos you like):

-I banana in a large w/w wrap covered with 2 spoonfuls of NATURAL peanut butter (heck, if you're really hungry you could have two!)
    -1 can of tuna mixed w/ hummus + 1 slice of multi-grain toast

I usually end up eating leftovers from the night before. Things like chicken, turkey and even salmon are delish in a whole wheat wrap with spinach, chickpeas - whatever you like!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Can you not make food at home in advance? Obviously something that doesn't need to be warmed up.

Today I am having chicken breast (85cals) , 2 mini pitta breads (99cals), humous and a big salad with rocket, red pepper, cumber and red onion. This works out as being 385 cals {with a little dressing also} and will keep me full for the rest of the day..
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My favorite packed lunches are salads with some protein and fat. Like a spinach salad with cranberries, walnuts, and a bit of feta cheese. Or taco salad with a bit of crumbled tortilla chips, a little scoop of seasoned beef, and a tiny bit of sour cream. I love salad anyways, but adding the proteins and fats helps me avoid temptations like snacking on office snacks, grabbing a "treat" with coffee, etc.
  • dawnslaughter
    Options
    take some fruit with you , and it counts to your 5 a day, make a sandwich. or if you have the calories spare and want a treat a slice of cold pizza, chicken is ok cold too if you mix it with a bit of couscous or pasta with apples its nice and keeps ok in a lunch box it just depends what calories you are aiming for?

you can make salad and keep it in a tupperware box you can get ice packs that keep it fresh

the list is endless
  • dawnslaughter
    Options
    if you cook a ready made pizza at the begining of the week divide it up in to slices the box will say what the calories are . freeze the extras and take them out of the freezer each morning they will be defrosted by lunch time. it is ok to eat what you like so long as its in moderation
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    Have you ever heard of a protein sludge? It is delicious (almost like a frozen milkshake) and amazingly easy. You can blend them on Sunday, freeze, and take one to work every day. I can find the exact recipe if you want... just friend me. But it's pretty much whey protein - peanut butter - a banana if you want - cocoa - some kind of small amount of milk - and like 3 other things. It's about 500 calories and costs about 1.50 per lol.
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I also can't heat stuff up, but if you invest in a decent thermos food flask you can take hot food with you. I usually take some soup - so you can get your proteing with lentil or whatever in the soup. Takes 5 min max in a morining to warm the flask with boiling water whilst the food heats up, and it keeps warm for 6 hours.

Also a gree with pp re a decent insulate lunch bag and an ice pack. I pack my daughter's lunch for school and this ice pack will still be half frozen at home time, so it definitely keeps your food chilled. Cous cous with some roast veg or diced chickn would be a good balanced mael for you to prep the night before and take in.

You'll save money preparing your own food too.
  • katjohn83
    katjohn83 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all with great ideas.
    I'll be sure to try many of them.