I've been in a big slump for a while

AMOMONAJOURNEYTOCHANGEHERLIFE
AMOMONAJOURNEYTOCHANGEHERLIFE Posts: 170 Member
edited September 23 in Motivation and Support
Hi guys I'm looking for some encouragement!

I've been in a slump for almost 6 months now. In August my trainer moved away then about two weeks later I became ill. For a month I was going to the doctors running a ton of test. Finally to find out I had mono and my spleen was enlarged. So I wasn't able to work out because it was dangerous and I was completely drained of energy I couldn't even do normal activities. I'm a mom of 4 they were 2,5, and two 11 year olds when this started. The week I found out what was going on with me my husband was leaving for a mission trip to Haiti so I wasn't able to get as much sleep as I needed to recoup so it's been a long road to get better. I constantly picked up every respiratory infection I could possibly get.and bacterial infections. I was only able to get the bare minimum done daily.

So the fact I was loosing all of my hard work I accomplished in the gym depressed me. Also the lack of energy to just get the basic things done day to day made it easy for me to stop eating well. Lots of nights I was too exhausted so I would just order a pizza or go to some drive thru. And the more depressed I was becoming the more crap I would eat. Which if I wasn't sick I would take my depressed butt for a walk or go beat the crap out of myself at the gym.

So now I am waiting for a blood test and yet another doctor appointment next week to see if I am healthy enough to start working again. My energy level is better. I'm starting to get my normal stuff accomplished each day with out feeling like it sucked the life out of me. I'm averaging every 3 days where I feel like I NEED to take a nap mid day. I'm making healthier meals again and trying to cut back on the depression eating. I'm hoping my gym will give me back the months I missed if I bring a doctors note in. I paid for a year membership and only used March- August :(

I just feel like I took 3 steps forward and then a million steps back.

Replies

• samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    I completely understand where you are coming from!! I had mono & the swine flu (at the same time) a year ago and I gained quite a bit of weight because I was sick for 3 months (didn't even get out of bed a lot of that time). And then of course like you said, got every other possible sickness right after/around then! :( Now it has been hard for me to lose that weight, but I am getting remotivated-it has been a rocky 6-8 mos since then because my health was still not in the best shape for a while after that. I hope you feel better soon and just take it slow. Don't overexert yourself or you will regret it later. I started working out again when I was feeling better and had enough energy, just taking my dog for a walk and slowly increased the time & started running until finally I felt capable of actually doing a full workout at the gym/at home etc. You definitely need some more time to rest up and just take things one step at a time!
  • Thanks, it's so rough when you feel so stuck. It's not like you can do anything to speed up getting better with this. Some people kick it in 4 weeks and some have it for a year. I must be one of the lucky ones...I know I could have come down with something much worst but it doesn't make this suck any less.

I just really need to start controlling my food better. And not let my depression control what I put in my mouth. It's just hard cause I have no other outlet. Since I have been sick I have been taking a multi- vitamin which isn't something I have ever been a fan of. But I figured my body could use the extra help.
  • So day one of making healthier choices and fighting the urge to eat just because I'm bored, lonely, mad, sad or just mindless eating. I'm going to get back on track!
This discussion has been closed.