Another reason to get healthy

Options
Lost my aunt (who was 52 and mildly obese) to a stroke a year ago last week. One more reason to get the whole diet/exercise thing under control and get healthy.

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/ap/us_med_stroke_younger_victims

Replies

• slimyfishy
    slimyfishy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY how you feel. My Mom died @ 52yo and my Grandmother @55yo. They were both well over 300lbs., NEVER EXERCISED (seriously, I NEVER saw my mom even go for a short walk around the block), drank sweet tea, ate tons of sugar, etc. Before my mother died in 2001, she had lost BOTH of her legs due to Type II Diabetes. She had 3 heart attacks in the hospital, and the doctors told my father that there was nothing they could do for her. The 52yrs that she had abused her body had done irreparable damage. She died in her sleep at home.

I told myself that I don't want to put my family through that. I want to be healthy, and live a L-O-N-G life. I want to see my great-grandkids one day. I know that I will never be a Size 2 girl. I'm okay with that. I do know that I can exercise, eat right, drink my water, sleep 8 hours each night, and take control of my life.

You are not alone in wanting to live longer than your loved ones. Although we miss them deeply, we can learn from them. They have given us the gift of personal accountability. Taking care of ourselves, seeing a doctor each year, and staying informed is the BEST way to honor those that are no longer with us. They are gone, but they will never be forgotten. WE CAN DO THIS! -Shan