Why did I just eat the whole bag???

Options
I have been doing well with my weight loss recently and feeling pretty darn good. Today I decided I still had enough calories left over for the day that I deserved a little treat. I bought some black licorice. And then, in usual fat girl fashion, I ate the ENTIRE bag. It was a ridiculous amount of calories and now I feel sick, physically and emotionally. Does anyone know the psychology behind this??

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's easy to do, IF I buy a bag that would have multiple servings the only thing that works for me is to portion it out as soon as it comes into the house. Otherwise pay "extra" per serving to get a single serving package, either way when the portion is gone its gone.

A treat can certainly keep you on track just watch how you do it.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    Well the good news is that black licorice has a natural laxative property so chances are it'll be out of your system sooner than you think.

Hopefully it won't hit you too hard.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    LOL, missed that little bit, I keep a supply of black licorice on hand for that, I can't stand the store-bought / OTC remedies so having the licorice around is great if it comes up, not that it does with the oatmeal / psyllium etc
  • jligon92
    Options
    I dont know about that BUt I do know that it will be ok. You can always work it off and tomorrow is a new day. Losing weight is like ALchoholic recovery you have to take it one day at a time.
  • MrsMedeiros
    Options
    Think about what you were doing while eating the licorce. If you were watching tv or surfing the net then you were doing what is called "mindless eating." You are tuned into the activity you are doing and not how much you are eating. Also a good trick if you don't want to over indulge when snacking is take one serving and put the rest away. If you have am inkling to have another serving you will have to think twice before or as you getting up for it. Good Luck!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing with Irish whiskey, German beer, Vodka and scotch.
  • myladyelliott
    Options
    I'm with Pandorian - I do the same thing. If it's a large package of something I know I'll "fall into", it gets pieced out by serving sizes before a single bite is allowed!

Goldfish is one of my downfalls (and Cheezits). So as soon as it comes out of the grocery bag, out come the snack-size Ziplocs and it gets portioned out. The I stuff the Zippys back into the box and put it in the pantry. that way, I can grab one bag, know exactly what's in it, and exactly how much I'm going to eat. It's a little extra work, but it's a real lifesaver!
  • myladyelliott
    Options
    Another thing: If black licorice is a real treat for you - look for BlackJack gum! It's licorice you can chew for hours! :)
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I did the exact same the other day. Me and my bf were craving ice-cream so we went and got a small round tub of it. We sat there with a spoon and ate half of it!!! Cookies and cream ice-cream as well *drools* Felt so guilty afterwards!! I blame it on the bf, he hardly puts weight on!!!!!

Edit- when i say small round tub i really don't mean small at all
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    That is why I never buy bag fulls of anything! Because I know I will eat it all.

Better not to have that stuff around you.

And also, rememeber how you feel now, so next time, before you even have one, try to think about how you will feel afterwards. It doesn't always work for me but more often than not if I concentrate on that after-feeling I lose the desire to eat fatty stuff.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I've done that many times. Usually it's a bag of chips. I think it's been a week or more since I've done it. I try to avoid buying foods that I know will tempt me. I know when I binge there are a number of reasons behind it: I'm bored (usually when my boyfriend isn't home so I find comfort in eating), lonely, not paying attention to what I"m eating because I'm watching shows online.

I've decided the next time I buy a big size bag of chips I'm going to put single servings in containers.. then if I want *some* chips, I can just have a serving of it rather than plop down on the couch with the whole bag.
  • mollianna
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I really got some smiles out of them today. Yes, it was mindless eating while I was watching tv. I don't even remembering tasting much of it. In fact I was very surprised when I reached into the bag again and it was all GONE! Not feeling any effects of it today, thank goodness. I was nervous.. but my belly ached half the night and as someone suggested, I will try to remember that the next time!

As for treats, thanks for the suggestion about the gum. I chew gum almost all day and I didn't know that flavor existed. Can't wait to find it!

You are right, I need to portion them out the next time. I hope I never have a craving like that again though... why can't I crave vegetables?? God knows I don't get enough of them..

Hope everyone has a great day!!!