CARBS?

Options
jesse1117
jesse1117 Posts: 124 Member
i am not that great at minding my carbs. my calories, i'm like a nazi. but carbs i let go. is that really bad, or just a little unhealthy? am i sabotaging myself:wink:

Replies

• jesse1117
    jesse1117 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    i am not that great at minding my carbs. my calories, i'm like a nazi. but carbs i let go. is that really bad, or just a little unhealthy? am i sabotaging myself:wink:
  • cvanvick
    cvanvick Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked that!! I've been wondering the same thing. I do really well with counting my calories, but I know that I always go over on my carbs. I'm definitely a carb lover. :love:
  • areason4stars
    Options
    I really dont have an answer , but I am right there with you. I figure I will ease into this healthy eating thing.. so for now I am just keeping the calories in check I will worry about the carbs and such later.
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I think the answer is yes or no.

If you are exercising alot, you need to make sure you get your protein so that your body has the tools to build what you created.

You also need to come close to getting your 30% Fat intake.

If you can do both of those, be over in Carbs, and STILL make your calorie count, I dont think there is anything to worry about.

Unfortunately , I think if your over in Carbs, your not going to be getting enough protein or fat.
  • BlackBeltLJ
    BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
    Options
    As a diabetic, I watch my carbs more closely than anything else. Meals- I get 30 and snacks I get 15. It can be real tough especially when some meals (like Amy's) are higher in carbs. Protein is a friend right now as long as the fats are okay too. Crackers are no one's friends. Pasta and rice are out- bagels you have to watch. Oh well, lettuce is a freebee and so is sugar free jello.:ohwell:
  • insearchofskinny
    Options
    Carbs... well, at that, I'm a pro LOL.

There are a ba-zillion different "diets" around. I've tried them all.. OK, maybe not "all" but if not, I'll find the missing ones, believe me!

A low carb diet is merely another option... my option ..and the one that works for me.

No, if you are counting calories.. a calorie is a calorie, is a calorie.

Complex carbs burn more slowly then simple carbs.

As a rule there just isn't any nutritional value in white foods like white bread and pasta and white rice. If you look at a bread label you will see the word "enriched". that only means... the natural vitamins and minerals have been removed in processing and then some are added back.. like taking a vitamin to replace a piece of real fruit.

Think of a calorie as another word for energy. If you do not have carbs to burn then your body will have no other choice then to burn fat for energy. So, the less carbs you have, the more fat you will burn.

If you are counting calories, after you burn what you eat, your body has no choice but to burn fat for energy.

Less calories and you burn your fat.

Your body absorbs the nutrients from protein then passes the bulk from your body... storing the extra fat that's in proteins.

No, you don't need to watch both. Choose what works best for you and your health issues.

Complex carbs rather then simple carbs - for diabetics
    Lower fat content and lean meats - for heart and artery issues.

Does that help?

Good Luck! :heart:
  • Nikki79
    Nikki79 Posts: 3
    Options
    It depends on whether you are eating simple or complex carbs. Simple carbs come from sugar (glucose, fructose and galactose), white rice, white flour and your body can absorb these very quickly. Their rapid absorption increases the chances of sugar converting to fat but only if there is an abundance of energy absorbed. Foods like cake, pastry, biscuits, chocolate and too much table sugar to name a few contain lots of "empty" calories.

Complex carbohydrates such as beans, brown rice, pasta, bread and potatoes are simply sugars bonded together to form a chain. Digestive enzymes have to work much harder to access the bonds to break the chain into individual sugars for absorption through the intestines. For this reason, the body has a harder time converting these to fat.

I wish myfitness pal had the ability to track simple vs. complex carbohydrates, but you should be able to know which is predominant in your diet. If it's simple, then, yes, that can sabotage you because your body is converting the carbs to fat. If it's complex carbs, munch away.