Why you should eat min 1200 cals a day and not skip meals

Options
Hi, I just loged into Jillian Michael's web sit and signed up ( I didn't sign up where I had to pay money, but you get all cool info each day like this for free:

You should NOT skip meals. There are so many adverse effects to skipping meals. Not only does it slow your metabolism but it can also lead to overeating, because when you do eat, you're overly hungry.
As for cutting your calories below your recommended allowance, remember this golden rule: Never allow your daily calorie allowance to fall below 1,200 if you are a woman and 1,500 if you are a man. Falling below these daily allowances can do real damage to your metabolism and result in excessive loss of lean muscle tissue. When you dramatically reduce your calories on a consistent basis, it can slow your metabolism or trigger a plateau. Consistent exercise — plus the occasional high-calorie day — will help ward off a plateau.

By the way, I have nothing to do with her, I'm just the same as you, trying to loose weight and be motivated and learn how to do it.
Good luck with your journey, Hotbottom.

Replies

• kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    great info! cheers for sharing !
  • Mrs_Hewi
    Mrs_Hewi Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
    With MFP i was trying to stay a lot under my calorie intake because i thought i would lose weight quicker. But it often came up saying i had eaten too few calories and aim for 1200. Now i understand why!
    Its just so hard because i find myself either a lot under or a bit over my calorie goal.
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I do think that there are a lot of people on here that eat below the min thinking it will make them lose the weight quicker. This should be published at the top of the default diary page !!!
  • cool_as_hel
    Options
    Great info but it is hard to not skip meals and still stay in my cals allocated.
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought: I am 5'3", I am very small boned, size 5.5 shoe, size 3.5 ring finger, wrist 5.5, ankle 7.25, etc. I never in my life ate as much as was suggested - I didn't need to. Common sense, it takes more calories to sustain my medium boned 5'10" cousin than it takes to sustain me. If I ate within guidelines I would be huge and remain huge. Believe me, I am into eating!!! I am more than a supporter of eat and move to lose, I am a fanatic about it. However, we come in all shapes and sizes with different metabolisms and we need to learn to listen to our bodies and watch for results, results as in being healthy, having energy, plus weight loss (if that is our goal). We have to remember that these guidelines are based on averages and adjust accordingly. Eat enough for heavens sake, but enough for you.