Trying to avoid the unhealthy weightloss methods of my past.

Options
Hey everyone,

I just joined the site a few days ago. My name is Devon, I'm 22, living in Alberta, Canada. (female, despite the name!) .

I am at the highest weight in relation to my height that I have ever been and have been getting into unhealthy habits of binging and snacking when depressed or bored. I have a history of depression and haven't been feeling great for the past few months and have put on 10lbs. Prior to that, I was 10lbs over my UGW but wasn't really focusing on it. I've been afraid to get back into losing weight at all because I don't want to go back to my days of not eating at all, when I was dangerously underweight. It was difficult to get out of that mindset.

However, I have support and have gotten fed up with my growing love handles, thighs, and *kitten*. I just had to buy new bras in a larger cup size. My family has a history of emotional eating. I don't want to sink into the complete opposite of what I was experiencing, diet wise, as a teenager and gain weight unhealthily.

So, I joined MFP and tumblr (to follow various fitness bloggers) and am trying to surround myself with positive health oriented people so that I can lose weight healthily and be able to run half a block without feeling nauseaus.

After logging my exercise and diet for two days, I've realized a few things... I don't drink enough water, don't get enough protein, too many carbs, and overall, to few calories. I never would have thought I was eating to few calories!! Protein is easy to fix... I am a vegan (before you ask, going non-vegan is NOT an option!) and love protein rich foods, I just didn't realize how little I'd been eating. Eating more nuts, tofu, soymilk, beans, etc is easy enough for me. Water makes me feel sick so I am trying to drink cold weak tea or lemon water, which for whatever reason doesn't make me sick... and I'm sorry, but I love carbs.... I guess I need to work on that.

Anyways, I look forward to bugging all of you with all of my questions.

Replies

• Tinkerbell09
    Options
    Good Luck and welcome! We are all here for you!
    xx
  • shandy32
    shandy32 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Goodluck xx
  • liveskinny
    Options
    i joined mfp to avoid my unhealthy ways of weight loss too! so far i've learned a lot & everyone is really supportive. good luck! & feel free to add me (:
  • Sammy_k715
    Sammy_k715 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Hope you achieve all of your goals. =]
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

Rather than trying tea instead of water, maybe try some herbal/fruit infusions that are caffeine free. I'm hooked on peppermint and some of the mixed berry ones we get here in the UK.

C
  • CocoRenee
    Options
    Hey, just wanted to weigh in with my two bobs worth of empathy. My weight's also on the slow incline. I don't own a scale because I have also gotten dangerously skinny at points and generally tend to under-eat/over-eat rather than just EAT. I just totally wanted to let you know that your story totally resonates with me and I'm rooting for you! I totally believe that we can ditch this relationship with food - as my man says: "You have a RELATIONSHIP with food..." Like you, I just want to eat normally and exercise and lose the obsessive component. Power to ya!

xo

Coco
  • serofex
    serofex Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and the warm welcome everyone!

The tea I use actually doesn't have any caffeine. It's an organic weightloss tea that has apple, blueberry, dandelion and hibiscus. It flavors the water just enough that I can drink it in large amounts.

If anybody would like to add me, I'd love more friends on here to get motivation from and share with!
  • amnix
    amnix Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!