Dieting while on vacation?

Options
We're going to Orlando/Universal Studios for five days at the end of the month, and I'm just wondering how you all feel about sticking to your diet while on vacation???

I know this is supposed to be a lifestyle change, so there's not supposed to be "cheat" periods. And people keep on telling me that if I take a break for that long, I'll never get back on track, especially since it's so early in my weight loss journey and I haven't quite got in a routine yet anyways.

I guess I'm just nervous that I'm going to lose these first five pounds before we go, gain them all back over vacation, and then get discouraged and quit. I just think it's too hard to try to track calories and how much I'm burning and all that while trying to relax and have fun.

I just keep telling myself, as long as I control myself, I'll be fine. Order from kids menus, watch my portions, stay away from fried foods and soda, etc. Correct? I mean, we'll be constantly walking and doing things, so I'll be burning all day. The extra splurging and eating out won't ruing me THAT much.........will it?

If anyone has any advice on how they handle vacations and dieting, please let me know!

OH! And I've read a lot of other similar posts on the site, and most of them have given the advice to pre-cook food and bring it with you or go grocery shopping once you're there. We're staying in a low budget hotel and will not have anywhere to store or cook food, so unless it's pre-packaged pantry type stuff, we just can't do it.

Replies

• JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    personally, I would change my calories to maintenance mode and still log via my phone. That way you won't gain or lose, so you can pick back up when you return ;) I am sure you will be walking tons so I would also track that for a few extra splurges. Good luck!
  • UnpredictablyPretty21
    Options
    You know what... I am so the opposite, when I am on vacation I lose weight... Last time I went away I lost 5kgs in 7 days!
    You never know, with the constant activities you might not over eat and wont go over your calories!!!

have an awesome time though!!!
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I decided not to log while away due to roaming internet charge abroad. as a result of this i ate waaaaaay too much!

Its probably a good idea to switch to maintenence and keep logging, dont be superstrict, your on vacation but dont go mad.

I went to Rome in Sept and put on 9lbs in one week! lol! bad girl!!!

YOu will find at universal etc that you spend a lot of the day walking around and burning cals, so this will be a good workout while your away : )
  • kandy80cat
    Options
    We went to orlando as you can see fro my profile picture in november and when we got home all i wanted was veggies, i was sick to death of the lack of choice, chicken strips and fries, hotdog and fries, burger and fries, they do have salads but were pretty boring and in one place in islands of adventure i got a salad and it was a wedge of lettuce with a dribble of some horrible looking sauce on the top and about a ton of olives.

one idea for you when we went walmart or publix we bought a ice box made from polystyrene with a lid for around $5 and filled it with ice in our hotel room and stocked up on fruit and all milk ect so when in the hotel room could stick to my diet

also bottled water in the parks is about $2.80 but you can take your own in, we did drink from a water fountain once but were all ill for about 3 days of the holidays
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Put yourself on maintenance and don't stress. A vacation is just that- a vacation. You are definitely going to be walking and burning a lot more calories, so even if you overeat (as in, go over maintenance), you should still be ok. It is inevitable that you might get some fried food or have soda or decide you don't want a kids meal- and that's totally fine. If you stress about it too much, you won't enjoy yourself. The way I see it is this- it isn't a cheat week, it is a week of learning to live in the real world. There will be vacations and weddings and parties and dinners out even once you've hit your goal weight, so if you can learn how to handle it now, you will be fine then, too. I've been pleasantly surprised every time I've mentally put myself on maintenance and haven't logged all my food.

It is one of those things where you just think about it. If you really want a hot dog or a hamburger, get it, but don't eat all of the bun. Maybe get salad instead of fries without a lot of dressing. If you want to get a big meal somewhere, think about splitting it with someone (since you can't keep leftovers). Make sure to drink enough water. Don't go crazy and eat a ton because you aren't tracking, just try to be conscious of your choices without obsessing. It can be done.