The true cost of Pizza

Options
Just trying to put some perspective on my diet and came up with this relisation in terms of the true cost of a Pizza when you factor in the cost of my boxing/exercise.

Pizza Hut - Deep Pan Meat Lovers Pizza = $8.95 = 1,976 calories gained

Boxing 30 Minute PT Session = $40 = 450 calories burned

So drawing on the above, it would take at least 4 Boxing PT sessions to burn off that pizza, meaning the true financial cost is in fact closer to $169. I dont know about you, but PizzaHut doesnt taste that good!!!

Puts a bit more perspective around the true cost of these foods when you are also working hard to burn them off.

Replies

• rrand85
    Options
    LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! so true, makes it easier not to eat it :) thanx for the insight.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    meh, I still like pizza. BUt yea I can see that. I use it is as a tool to reset my metabolism. Oh and I burn over 1000 cals when I do Muay Thai training daily. I can also see the importance of not eating this regularly as it is very bad for you!
  • crazeness
    Options
    Lucky I don't like pizza! lol
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    Pizza is a personal example, I'm sure others will do the maths for their food of choice.
  • crazeness
    Options
    Pizza is a personal example, I'm sure others will do the maths for their food of choice.

I know, it was a joke lol :tongue:

I totally understand what you are saying and it is good to think about things like that.
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    sry, didnt mean for that to come across blunt! :)
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Cant give up pizza forever but you can find healthy, good tasting pizza. I have found places where a slice could be around 200- 300 calories. You can have 2 pieces and your work out will cover it. YES I do stay away from Pizza Hut !
  • EJWoolcock
    Options
    omg that is an awesome way to think - I love MFP!!!:laugh:
  • crazeness
    Options
    sry, didnt mean for that to come across blunt! :)

Not at all, I thought you might have thought I was a little thick lol :laugh:
  • chrish1981
    Options
    Lucky I don't like pizza! lol

Really??? Why not? (just curious).

I would eat it intravenously if it were possible...can't get enough! (when I DO eat it, that is).
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! Excellent.

I remeber seeing someone posting that they had something like 4500 calories in one sitting...

and I remember thinking at the time "do you realise you'd have to run a marathon to work that off!!?" :laugh:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm another who could happily live without pizza!

It's OK, though I never really liked the crusts. But I haven't eaten pizza since.....ooooh Africa in December, and even then that was only cos I had to since that's where a whole group of us were eating. And if you told me I'd never eat pizza again, I'd shrug and say "Meh".

What's so good about it, all you fans ;-)
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Unless I missed the point, it's not about pizza, it's about any (junk) food in terms of how hard you have to train to work it off?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Lol - that's brilliant.

Next time I get served my pizza at Pizza Express I will say to my waitress "That will be £170 please. What, you expect me to eat this for free?"
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Well yes that was the original point, but then someone asked a question about pizza specifically. For those of us who didn't really go crazy about it.
  • 007spyder
    Options
    This makes Pizza a huge non food. However you can save tons of calories if you make your own and use quality ingriedents. veggie pizzas with low fat cheese taste just as good and you can show off you skills as a cook try cooking it ont he BBQ grill you can get awsome results!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! Excellent.

I remeber seeing someone posting that they had something like 4500 calories in one sitting...

and I remember thinking at the time "do you realise you'd have to run a marathon to work that off!!?" :laugh:

I did not even burn 4500 cals during my marathon......I only burned about 2500...still good but not enough
    If I were to eat like that....

I have looked at monetary cost but I have considered if the miles necessary to burn the cookie etc