a jump start, please

Options
Hi all,

I have been working out and watching what I am eating. I am eating totally different 80 % of the time. I am choosing good foods, and exercising. I just need a few encouragement pounds. I am getting bummed. I have only lost nine pounds since Sept. when I found out what I weighed. Which I don't mind the slow loss, because I want to have a new lifestyle, not a diet. But I am stuck.
If I start something radical today, what should I do for a short term pop? Please help!!:sad: :sad:

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Just a couple of thoughts, as i can't see your diary, are you eatting enough? are you eating your exersie calories back?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

good luck on your journey , i know its not as easy as we get older! i'm 50 next month!
  • IdleJack
    Options
    One of the best books I have read is by Tom Venuto and is called Burn the Fat; Feed the Muscle.

It takes the approach that if you want to understand weight loss you need to look at the people that do it the best; body builders. Now it's not about becoming a body builder but lays out a number of guiding principles to help you achieve your goals.

It covers everything from setting proper/realistic goals, how to lose fat without wrecking your metabolism as well as losing fat without the aid of drugs or supplements.

I bought it a few years ago, when I was over 30% body fat and I got down to 15%. If only I had stuck to the principles I wouldn't be starting out again! :laugh:

Anyhoo apart from reading the book one other gem I found is that you need to do what you need to do in order to achieve your goals! That may sound over simplistic but one of my greatest motivators right now is watching The Biggest Loser (Families) Australia. Before watching that I had convinced myself that lifting weights, doing a bit of cardio and eating clean 'some of the time' was fine. But the results weren't coming as fast as I knew they could; I was living in denial.

Dedication, consistency, motivation, hard work and taking responsibility for the food I am eating is (at the end of the day) all down to me. If I make excuses I am only lying to myself.

I would advise you to really evaluate your current lifestyle; are you really doing all that could/should be doing to achieve your goals? How important is to achieve your goals? Do you have any enablers? Are you honest with yourself?

It's not easy BUT it's not impossible! That said I'd like to wish you all the best in your endeavours!
  • coypelican
    Options
    Just a couple of thoughts, as i can't see your diary, are you eatting enough? are you eating your exersie calories back?

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

good luck on your journey , i know its not as easy as we get older! i'm 50 next month!
    How do I open my diary?
  • coypelican
    Options

Also

How do I open my diary?
    FOUND IT! :smile:
  • coypelican
    Options
    thanks for the "do it or shut up" kind of talk....I need to hear it. It fires me up and takes me off the pity party train! ;-)