Eating out

Options
jilybean
jilybean Posts: 14 Member
I need all the suggestions I can get for how to eat out in a healthy way. It seems that no matter what you get it's double the calories. I will be out of town for 5 days and eating out the whole time. I well be double or triple my calories if I’m not careful. Any specifics on restaurants or meals would be helpful. I'm going with a few other people so I won't have total control over where we go, but anything well help!

Replies

• jilybean
    jilybean Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I need all the suggestions I can get for how to eat out in a healthy way. It seems that no matter what you get it's double the calories. I will be out of town for 5 days and eating out the whole time. I well be double or triple my calories if I’m not careful. Any specifics on restaurants or meals would be helpful. I'm going with a few other people so I won't have total control over where we go, but anything well help!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I just got back from 3 day trip out of town and did great with my food.

Choose salads or grilled stuff--lean meats as possible. If breaded, take it off. Ask for no salt or seasonings if possible. Watch the bread!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Each time you order, ask for a to-go box at the same time. Dump half of your meal in there to ensure you won't over eat!

Order salads, but stipulate to the waiter that the dressing (preferably a vinagerette) be on the side, so you can control the portion.

Grilled chicken breast is best. A hamburger is ok. Breaded chicken is worst.

O! worst thing for me! Appetizer AND a meal! Goodness!!!

And pack snacks to keep with you. prevents the impromtu run to baskin robbins or bag of greasy chips.

:flowerforyou: Good luck!
  • Tess
    Tess Posts: 16
    Options
    make sure you drink LOTS of water too before your meal...it will make you slightly less hungry and you probably need the water anyway.

I have to eat out all the time because of my work/dance/teaching schedual so i always choose food that is as close to home prepaired as possible. I look for vegitarian places where most things are oven baked, soup sandwich places, one personed owned and run places etc etc. I avoid all fast food places.
    Basically in my city i know all the "healthy" resturants and when i'm in an area and need to eat i go there and no where else. Takes a bit of researching but i find it helps.

Also, in my opinion, you DO NOT need oil with your balsamic on salads...It's a myth that it makes it stick to the lettuce, they don't mix and you just end up with oily salad with no flavor. I always ask for JUST balsamic vinigar on the side and pretty much every resto can accomodate me, it tastes MUCH better and has much less fat.
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    A lot of places offer half plates, ask for that. Also request to be prepared with little oil, they will totally accomadate that. Get grilled meats, dressing on the side (or none at all and just have a squeeze of lemon). Request double steamed veggies instead of potatos, rice or pasta.

Good luck!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: