Back Surgery

Heather19850
Heather19850 Posts: 14
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I had lower back surgery back in September. I had two herniated disk L5 S1 and I believe L4 L5. I was doing great before I got injured and Im just getting back into the swing of things. My doctor limited me to exercises that don't life anything over my head and that running or jogging was out, said it was one of the worst exercises for your back. How long should I follow these rules? It was 5 months yesterday that I had the surgery. I go on the treadmill for 40 mintues a day and use the machines at my gym. I want to start doing more. Has anyone else out here had this surgery. Am I just being a whimp for not wanting to push myself to hard, I occasinally get a pain the runs down my leg that I had no feeling in for about 2 weeks before the surgery, and that keeps me from pushing myself as hard as I want I definitely don't want to go through all that again!!

Replies

• lradloff
    lradloff Posts: 59 Member
    I haven't, but I would talk to your doctor to find out if you can start doing more. You definitely don't want to push it too much or too fast. That is a major surgery, so you don't want to take the restrictions lightly.

Good luck and hang in there!
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Not to be a party pooper but I had back surgery in 1991 and I still have problems. However, I also have aurther and my big belly impeeding progress. You should start out slow and see how that goes for you. Don't try to do too much too soon, otherwise you can hurt yourself. And if it starts to hurt, stop immediately! Being in pain days after limping around sucks, believe me I know first hand.
This discussion has been closed.