Cut out milk/drinking herbal tea's

Options
My diet has been pretty static as to the foods I am eating and calories consumed. Last week I decided to cut down on milk (I usually drink 1% fat milk) and have switched to Herbal Tea (around 2 cals a cup) and have increased the amount of cups per day to around 6-7 to increase my water consumption. My question is this, the week I drank milk, I lost 3lb, yet the week with very little milk, my weight has maily stayed the same, with just a lb coming off today.......does this sound right, am I maybe carrying more weight due to the weight of the water (if that makes sense ?)

Replies

• KadieA
    KadieA Posts: 167
    Options
    I actually heard that drinking at least one glass of milk a day helps keep weight off.
    I personally don't drink milk and have been drinking soy for years. I tried milk last month bc I'd run out of silk and my brother had milk. I grew sick about a minute after.
    But try drinking skim. I know it's gross tasting but there is less fat in it and you'll still be getting your milk serving in. Or try to have 8oz of milk in a different way.
  • emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    Options
    I don't know much about the effect of milk on weight loss, but I don't think drinking more water has created more water weight.
    Generally, an increase in water consumption has an opposite effect. If you are not drinking enough water, your body will retain more because it thinks it's not getting enough. If you do drink a lot of water, your body is more likely to "flush" out the excess.

You could try bringing milk back into your diet and see what effect it has next week, but it could also just be coincidental that you didn't lose weight this week. It may be something completely different (or just one of those blasted plateaus! :P )
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I would give it more time. The body doesn't always react so quickly when you eliminate a food. Maybe if you give it at least another week you would be really able to see if the cutting out milk has an effect. I drink almond milk myself and have found that not drinking regular milk has greatly helped my sinus problem!
  • dawnslaughter
    Options
    women should drink a glass of milk a day weather in drinks or on cereal we need the calcium
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I would guess it's just a coincidence. Are you really drinking 6-7 cups of tea a day though? If so, I would cut that back to 1-2. You shouldn't count tea as more than that into your intake of water. According to Dr.Oz you should add a glass or 2 of water for every cup of coffee or tea you drink as they are diuretic...
  • StephieAmber
    Options
    women should drink a glass of milk a day weather in drinks or on cereal we need the calcium

There are actually better, non-dairy, ways to get calcium. Like leafy greens or blackstrap molasses. The milk lobbyists are some of the most influential people and so people believe the only way to get calcium is through milk...but it's not true.

There's more calcium in a cup of collard greens than a cup of milk.

Just offering some options if you're concerned about calcium and cutting down on dairy.
  • ErinJ1981
    Options
    I love my milk and will never give it up! It's a great source of protein! I usually drink a glass an hour before my work out.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options

There are actually better, non-dairy, ways to get calcium. Like leafy greens or blackstrap molasses. The milk lobbyists are some of the most influential people and so people believe the only way to get calcium is through milk...but it's not true.

There's more calcium in a cup of collard greens than a cup of milk.

Just offering some options if you're concerned about calcium and cutting down on dairy.

^^This.

No one *needs* to drink milk simply for protein and calcium. Those can be gained in a huge variety of ways and with little difficulty.

The real reason one might even be concerned about not consuming a modicum of milk per day would be your vitamin D levels.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    will never cut milk from my life, I do make sure to buy organic no hormone added fat free milk though, its better for my skin.
    I also love coconut milk that one is dairy free. I drink herbal tea also but wont sub milk:drinker:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i rely on milk as a source of protein, and buy organic only. my body actually craves it after a workout - and my trainer once said chocolate milk is one of the best things you can have after a workout. oh yea, i take my milk with chocolate! LOL!

i wish i was better with tea at home. when i am out i always order an iced tea, but at home i never drink it - even if i make it!