Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

breastfeeding

Does anyone know how to adjust the caloric intake for mothers who are breastfeeding? i think it's like 20 calories per ounce. Thanks!

Replies

• ja9smakinachange
    ja9smakinachange Posts: 144 Member
    general rule is +500 calories a day.
  • Not sure but wanted to say good job on breastfeeding! I breastfed mine for 2 1/2 years =)
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    in my child care and development class it was 200+ per day
  • If you go to add food and search breastfeeding it will adjust your calories by 500. But you have to enter it everyday. I just went to my profile and added 500 to the total that MFP said I could eat.
  • general rule is +500 calories a day.

I believe this is correct... I breastfed my oldest for only 4 months due to him being very jaundiced and a premie... my youngest I made it to 6 months which is when the teeth came in fully and I just couldn't do it anymore... However I did lose 35lbs after my youngest with eating healthy and limited activity... So it truly is great for losing the baby weight!
    Good Luck and keep up the great work!
  • I would say 500... I know the first eight months I BF my daughter I was STARVING!!! I still BF her (1 maybe 2X a day) she's 14 months now--- I stick with my 1,200 a day but that's just because she doesn't really rely on me anymore.
  • SevenisHeaven
    SevenisHeaven Posts: 163 Member
    Depending on the age of the child. The younger the babe, the more calories burned while bf'ing. So for a newborn-right before starting solids I would go with the 500 calories. But once they start solids its about 300. In the food section there is a "nursing mothers" that you can add to your intake, and it -300 calories. HTH
  • It depends on age of the baby AND if you're exclusively breastfeeding or not.
    My son is on the verge of being 7 months but I've been remiss on really getting him to eat solids (I am super cautious because my three year old daughter had allergies to wheat and milk) so he is still fed exclusively only BM.
    I just do a -300 cals a day to adjust for this. I figure if it's actually costing me -500 cals, great, but I don't want overestimate that loss while I gradually phase him into eating solid foods.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    It depends on how much your baby is drinking, but the average is 300-500 extra calories a day.
  • swampgirl
    swampgirl Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks everyone! i just realized i could add "breastfeeding" to my diary and it will add on negative calories.