Frustrated, frustrated, frustrated!!!!

Options
OK, I've been so good! Workout every day, counting calories, tonnes of veggies, minimal fats....I GAINED!!! PLUS my WEIGHT went up!!!! Is it because I need to supplement healthy fats?! Am I in starvation mode?! I don't feel hungry! I'm stuffed! Maybe I need to starve myself! Then I'll have no energy to work out!

Replies

• mcphtm
    mcphtm Posts: 26
    Options
    do you do cardio for your workouts?
    Are you drinking plenty of water?
    Have you cut off all other sugary drinks?
    Do you eat late at night?

don't starve yourself... just be persistent and patient :)
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you make you food diary public I'd be happy to look and see if I could see anything that might help. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. I've been on here 30 days and have lost 8 pounds. Busy as I'm sure you are with a husband 4 kids and a job. Stick with it and it will work!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't see you diary, so I don't know. Are you drinking enough water? Are you watching your sodium? Are you eating processed foods? Is TOM coming to visit? There are many factors that could be causing you to gain. Don't fret... you'll get there :flowerforyou:
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Have you made your diary public so your friends can see what your eating and maybe give suggestions? It's hard to tell any one anything if you can't see what they are doing.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see your diary, it'll all be speculation.

Some of the main causes of weight gain -- too much sodium, not enough water, over-eating, under-eating, overestimating your workout calories and TOM. As you can see, there's a lot of reasons!
  • Only1ladyk
    Only1ladyk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, are you taking any contraceptives? Sometime they can hinder you from weight loss. Like my baby daughter sings to me from Yo Gabba Gabba "Keep trying, Keep trying, don't give up, don't give up."
  • fkaminer
    Options
    Me too!!! I am so pissed about this! I have been so good, 1200 calories a day, minimal fat, exercise and I am gaining weight. I cannot handle this. It is too frustrating. I was on Atkins for 2 years and I lost 33 pounds but I am 45 and I know Atkins isn't meant to be used for more than 6 months so I switched to the low fat blah, blah and I am gaining weight! I might have to go back to Atkins.
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    it is hard to say because I do not know your calorie intake or workout level. Healthy fats are good for everyone, and actually helps to support our brain and body. I always try to eat either flax seed, avocado, or coconut milk or oil daily. I consume 1500- 1600 calories a day, and I have been losing 2 pounds steady a week for the past three weeks. I jog four times a week and strength train 3 times a week.
    All the literature suggests that all diets of 1200 calories or less puts our body into starvation mode, as a result, our body fights back by holding on to fat while out muscles waste away.
    However, on the other hand, it could be possible that you are gaining muscle. the scale cannot tell us everything, and can be misleading sometimes. Try to get into the habit of measuring your body once a week, the tape measure will tell the truth.
    good luck, we all need it.:smile:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    OK, I've been so good! Workout every day, counting calories, tonnes of veggies, minimal fats....I GAINED!!! PLUS my WEIGHT went up!!!! Is it because I need to supplement healthy fats?! Am I in starvation mode?! I don't feel hungry! I'm stuffed! Maybe I need to starve myself! Then I'll have no energy to work out!

Could be you aren't getting enough calories. If you are doing any kind of strength training you could've gained some lean muscle mass. I'm set up for 1250 calories per day. I make sure I get that and if I burn anything through exercise I eat up to at least 1250 - sometimes a little over. And I eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner and usually a snack or two and sometimes don't get to eat dinner until 9pm-9:30pm. I have been losing steadily since beginning of January. If you aren't really big to begin with (I was in the upper range of healthy trying to get to mid to lower range) try focusing more on weight lifting and strength training. Having more lean muscle mass will do more for shedding fat than doing huge amounts of cardio. I use cardio so I can eat more.

And make sure you are hitting your nutrients the best you can including fats as long as they are the healthy fats.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    how long have yo been at this?
  • dieseljay74
    Options
    Well judging by the picture of yourself you don't have much at all to lose. I too am in the same boat. When you only have that last 10 or 20 lbs to get off...seems to be the hardest. Like everyone stated, post up an example of your diet. Many things could still need addressing there.
  • shandy32
    shandy32 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It could be that you are building muscle????
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Take a moment to take a deep breath and don't let the gain get to you. Your body needs some adjustment time with the new changes you've made. I just started back here a few weeks ago, too, and in the first week, after being super diligent and working my butt off, I gained too. The next week, however, I lost 4 pounds. Make sure you are eating enough and don't NOT eat fats. Starving yourself will only put you into a fast plateau and possible gain. It will also make your body use your lean muscle for fuel instead of your fat, making your metabolism slow even further. Read the links in my signature for more info on that. Good luck to you! Just keep on watching your calories in vs. calories out. You'll get there!
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight! I think that maybe I'll try to supplement a little fats and bring my calories up a little from 1200. Are you subtracting your workout calories?
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Put your diary out there for us to see.
    Maybe we can help with some tweeks.
    Good Luck !
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    1200 calories was not working for me, I didnt gain or lose. Ever since I started to eat 1300 calories I started to lose. maybe you need to eat more? drink a lot of water
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh... i am totally in the same boat... 41 years old, busy mother of 4 daughters and getting very frustrated with NOT losing weight! just wanted to let you know that i hear what you are saying! i just have about 8 pounds to lose or so and feel like it's not going to happen. can it be age? i haven't been one to buy into the whole 'well you are aging so that is why you are gaining' theory. it's not that simple - plus i am super healthy and active. i doubt that either of us has hit menopause yet and it sounds like you are as active as me.

i am considering making my diary public... how about you?

good luck with your journey!
  • arkohio
    arkohio Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I gain weight before losing because my body packs on muscle (which weighs more than fat) before it actually sheds the fat. You could be the same way.

Also, if you are working out, you should not be eating less than 1,200 calories a day. Your body will go into starvation mode at that point! I love working out because it means I get to eat more that day. My calories are set to 1,280 but if I work out, I might get to eat 1,680.