Help, How offend should I weigh myself???

Options
I have a habit of weighing myself everyday as soon as I wake up. Not, only that but it's also the first thing I do when I get home from work and I do it again when I am done exercising. I would love to either hide my scale or throw it out. It's doing me no good; normally the scale doesn't move. When I did not have a scale it was so much better, because I would not weigh myself until I got to some ones house who had a scale.

I am terrified of my scale and It's discouraging me when I do not see any results and I am working my butt off.

Replies

• chuckanderson
    Options
    I won't lie, I do it every morning. But you just have to stop and do the math..... you're only going to lose .33 lb's per day at the best (unless you're huge). So only expect it every 3-4 days....... do it first thing in the morning after you pee and it's relatively stable and I play the game of guessing what day it will happen :)
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Pick one day a week and weigh yourself in the morning. Weighing yourself during the day will just discourage you and your weight fluctuates through out the day.
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a scale hopper too, but... I only take notice of what I weigh first thing in the morning before breakfast. And I make sure I only log once a week. That kind of keeps me in check.

remember, weight fluctuates throughout the day due to the fact that you are eating and drinking, and will fluctuate day to day too. If you only take notice once a week (say on a Saturday morning) you will start to see a downward trend.

C
  • shirley_1984
    Options
    I avoid my scale and measuring tape all week until my weigh in day which is Fridays.... I used to hop on the scale every morning but it started becoming obsessive and stressful when the scale didn't budge....
    I suggest once per week. Some people do once every two weeks but I know I couldn't avoid the scale for THAT long!
    Good Luck!
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i got in the same problem when i had an eating disorder in the past.
    i had to take a break from the scale.
    if that means throwing it out then so be it.
    i hope things work out for you! its destructive behavior and you should nip it in the bud.
    good luck :]
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I have to preface this by saying 1) I'm no expert and 2) I'm a rookie at this whole endeavor.

My advice is to weigh yourself once or twice a week. Just make a set schedule. I wouldn't do it more often than that simply because it's obvious to me virtually everyone around here is obsessed with their scale. I don't think having your anxiety and other negative emotions lurch up and down based on a third of a pound is healthy. IMHO- it's all right if it provides a healthy stamina for you to pursue your goals- it gets unhealthy if you're thinking about it constantly or receiving a cascade of adrenaline from placing your two feet on the scale.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If you have the discipline and self control to exercise and eat healthy food then you have the discipline and self control not to have your life ruled by the scales :-)

The only way you will get a true reading IMO is to weigh in once a week, in the morning, naked.

Our body weigh fluctuates day to day and hour to hour - there is nothing more distressing than seeing a gain so why do it to yourself.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    only once a week, on the same day and at the same time of the day every time. Also take your measurements then also. Best time of the day to weigh is the first thing in the morning before you eat breakfast.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Throw your scale out, that is what I reccommend. Buy a measuring tape instead. Women tend to put on a little "water" weight for 1-2 weeks a month, during their cycle. so you are only going to get discouraged. when yo weigh that often, it will fluctuate, from your morning weight, to your evening weight.

Measuring tapes don't lie, you may put on some water weight, you may not lose anyweight at all, but as long as you are working out, and dieting, you will see results with your measuring tape, without fail.

It is a slower process tho, you wont see inches fall off your body daily, I am roughly at a quarter of an inch to a half of an inch every ten days, but that progress is there. That is what I suggest.

My mother was bulemic and anorexic growing up, so we were never allowed to have a scale in our house because she was afraid that my sister and I would become addicted to the scale too. It was one of the best things for me. I didn't need anything else to obsess about.
  • mikeveggie68
    Options
    once a month, scales can lie, and weighing yourself true frequently and not seeing the lost you want can be defeating, once a month is a better judge of progress.
  • EmelyJ
    EmelyJ Posts: 208
    Options
    If you have the discipline and self control to exercise and eat healthy food then you have the discipline and self control not to have your life ruled by the scales :-)

The only way you will get a true reading IMO is to weigh in once a week, in the morning, naked.

Our body weigh fluctuates day to day and hour to hour - there is nothing more distressing than seeing a gain so why do it to yourself.

Thanks, your words really means a lot to me.
  • jacque1109
    Options
    UHHHHH I HATE the scale--- really, I was working my butt off for 3 weeks and it would fluctuate BAD--- I took my measurements and that is what I'm going to be using from now on and weigh in ONCE a week, sundays.
  • dawnslaughter
    Options
    i weigh myself morning and evening, i tend to put 2lb on over the day but in the morning it is gone after going to the loo :flowerforyou: dont get obsessed but there is nothing wrong with being aware
  • Andrea7701
    Andrea7701 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I would say no more than once a week. I know it's hard to wait that long, but that's how I do it and get excited about seeing a result. Makes it worth the wait.
  • EmelyJ
    EmelyJ Posts: 208
    Options
    i weigh myself morning and evening, i tend to put 2lb on over the day but in the morning it is gone after going to the loo :flowerforyou: dont get obsessed but there is nothing wrong with being aware

That's exactly my story.
    Thanks,
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I weight on a Sunday mornings for the purpose of logging my loss for MFP. Much perfer taking my measurements, which gives me an even higher moral boost as can see my body changing shape.
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    once a month, scales can lie, and weighing yourself true frequently and not seeing the lost you want can be defeating, once a month is a better judge of progress.

This is so true and I wish I could keep myself from hopping on more often. The daily fluctuations and TOM interference can be very frustrating, and since this weight loss is a journey not a sprint, I think weighing in even weekly is probably too often.

I may try to start doing it every other week...I just wish it wasn't so hard to resist peeking!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself every single day.So i know its going to go up down all around but i still do it.im glad it dosent really bother me when it goes up,i just wish i could break the habit cuz right now im watching my weight go down slowly,where if i only wieghed myself once a month or something it would be this big chunk gone and be a gtreat boost
  • LadyLu1980
    Options
    I weigh myself every day too.....I find it stops me snacking in the evening and keeps me on track. Just be aware that your body weight can fluctuate by 2.2lbs due to your water level alone!
  • knowmydestiny
    knowmydestiny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have been weighing weekly for MFP and for a challenge I am in. I notice that people around your weight don’t loose that quickly and weighing too frequently may frustrate you because you may not see that change you are looking for.