Help with FAT STOMACH!

mreneecohen
mreneecohen Posts: 64 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I know there is no such thing as JUST losing stomach fat but doesn anyone have any tips? I can barely survive a couple sets of crunches and don't know where to start or what I should do!

Also, what about the FLABBY part on my arms!! Erghhh!

Replies

• DPruneda17
    DPruneda17 Posts: 124 Member
    Running works great on flattening stomache!
  • eamartin
    eamartin Posts: 216 Member
    Your abs heal very quickly, so I would just continue to push thru it. stop for a little bit if you need to.
    And for your arms, I would suggest wall push up and plank exercises. That helped me the most.
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    sorry to break bad news you cant spot reduce um but muscle does take more energy to uphold so it uses fats as energy you could try doing planks instead of situps and crunches and side crunches also biceps if you do more reps it supposedly leans them out hope that helps when you lose weight you lose it all over so you stay proportional also dont work abs more than 3 times a week you can overwork a muscle and it wont develop as fast
  • xstealth12x
    xstealth12x Posts: 43 Member
    Cardio. Lots and lots of cardio.

You're absolutely right, you can't just lose stomach fat, but if you're doing crunches, you'll develop great muscles underneath that you won't be able to see.

So, I say hit up the cardio machines. Then slowly start to integrate muscle building techniques to tone, whether you're looking to sculpt your arms, or tummy. But cardio and nutrition are number 1!

Having said that, they suck. I think pretty much everyone here agrees that doing cardio sucks a whole lot. But when jeans that used to be tight start sliding down your hips, you start to appreciate it more
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    DO NOT do crunches or sit ups. Try sitting or standing straight up and suck your stomach in as much as you can and hold for 10 seconds do this for ten reps and several times a day. There is actually a new workout video on it and it is only 7 min long. I can not remember the name of it but it will work. IT is because when you do crunches you are pushing your muscles out so why on earth would you get skinny doing that. The other way you are training them to stay in and it tightens them and traines them to hold you in. THis should help tighten not only your stomach but your back as well.
  • Forget crunches really..Do sit ups and another one i like and i dont know the name you lay flat on the floor raise your arms above your head then roll up and touch your toes you legs always stay flat and straight on the ground.Also planks.For arms push up and pull ups are great.
  • lots of cardio...you have to burn the fat that's in the stomach first so that your muscles can show. Doing crunches and abdominal exercises build muscle there but it does nothing for the fat there. Fat just doesn't turn into muscle so burning it off first will help a ton. Plus running helps build ab muscles anyway so you get a double whammy! good luck!
  • Check out my blog I just wrote on Stubborn Belly Fat and see if this could be you...... :flowerforyou:
  • I agree with cardio, and planks have done more for me than crunches ever have. If you're doing them right, very tough and works all of your core.
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Jackie Warner has a dvd "crunch- free xtreme abs". There are 2 segments...floor exercises and standing, each about 15 minutes...working with hand weights.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Keep pusing through the crunches! Even if you can only handle a small amount, it will help. Add one more to your count every week and you will slowly creep up. :)
  • lbisson
    lbisson Posts: 4 Member
    I have always heard that cardio is the best way to lose belly fat. I hate the treadmill but try to make myself stay on for 10-20 minutes at least 6 days a week. I also work out with weights at least 6 days a week. In between my sets I like to do crunches on the exercise ball and reverse crunches on the bench (in between bench pressing sets). I can tell my stomach is firmer but I still have the "flabs"! I had two c-sections, so I am assuming it will take a while to get those muscles in shape.

I love to work my triceps to try to reduce the "wavy arms". I normally do these every other day. The exercises I do for triceps include: tricep pull downs, extensions (holding dumbbell extend arm behind you, and tricep curl (my name for it!). I am planning to add tricep dips (with hands on a chair).

Not sure if this helps you or answers your question!
  • DO NOT do crunches or sit ups. Try sitting or standing straight up and suck your stomach in as much as you can and hold for 10 seconds do this for ten reps and several times a day. There is actually a new workout video on it and it is only 7 min long. I can not remember the name of it but it will work. IT is because when you do crunches you are pushing your muscles out so why on earth would you get skinny doing that. The other way you are training them to stay in and it tightens them and traines them to hold you in. THis should help tighten not only your stomach but your back as well.

A proper crunch or quarter curl (just shoulders off the ground) is to tighten your stomach, NOT push it out. Try to keep your lower back toward the ground and exhale on the way up. Granted some exercises work for some people and not others. But I found it absurd reading to avoid them.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Keep pusing through the crunches! Even if you can only handle a small amount, it will help. Add one more to your count every week and you will slowly creep up. :)

Like others have said... This won't burn the fat. It will build your muscles underneath so as you continue to lose weight you will be more toned. Take others advice and do cardio, cardio, cardio!!!
  • try zumba! it's fun cardio and while i know you can't spot reduce, i've totally noticed my tummy shrink :)
  • My trainer friend recommends using a ball and doing sit up type exercises or standing crunches and other standing ab works, incorporated into your workout routines.

As for your arms, she reccomends planks, tricep dips, and tricep workouts with free weights(some movements, light weights, increased reps)

Good luck!
  • You are right you can not ''spot reduce"! Healthy food choices are 85% of it, only the other 15% is exercise! So, as you can see it is important knowing some evidence based and research proven protocol in which to fallow. Remember we are trying to reduce BMI and strengthen mucles. To start chose food carefully and move more! Any questions on the foods or exercises feel free to ask =)

Peace and Health,
    Mike
  • mreneecohen
    mreneecohen Posts: 64 Member
    You are right you can not ''spot reduce"! Healthy food choices are 85% of it, only the other 15% is exercise! So, as you can see it is important knowing some evidence based and research proven protocol in which to fallow. Remember we are trying to reduce BMI and strengthen mucles. To start chose food carefully and move more! Any questions on the foods or exercises feel free to ask =)

Peace and Health,
    Mike

Recommendations on food would be awesome!
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Skinnyme25 - THANK YOU!!! Just what I needed to hear. I straightened up my posture as soon as I read your post!
  • BeautyAndStrength50
    BeautyAndStrength50 Posts: 273 Member
    Im doing P90X Ab Ripper X. 3 times a week and its helping a lot.. You can spot train after you have got to your goal weight. People say you cant but you can. You have to get rid of the fat first then you will start seeing the muscles underneath the fat. I have learned a lot the past year and realized you have to have patients and work at it.. Cardio is one of the main key to losing fat. I love the treadmill I do it at least 2 days a week with my Jillian workouts. Jillian is the bomb she's my inspiration and I love her. Hope this helps..

susie
This discussion has been closed.