Healthy Sandwiches

Options
mramig
mramig Posts: 26 Member
So I am a camp counselor this summer. it's great exercise, but it means that I bring a lunch everyday to eat with the kids.

Well, I've figured out that my normal ham and cheese is about 400 calories! Does anyone have any easy/low calorie sandwich ideas?

Replies

• mramig
    Options
    So I am a camp counselor this summer. it's great exercise, but it means that I bring a lunch everyday to eat with the kids.

Well, I've figured out that my normal ham and cheese is about 400 calories! Does anyone have any easy/low calorie sandwich ideas?
  • leg8
    leg8 Posts: 49
    Options
    i can eat wheat bread, turkey, a slice of cheese and some lettuce every day!
  • bleachcse
    bleachcse Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Josephs Whole Wheat, Oat Bran, and Flax pita bread-60 calories, very healthy and makes a great sandwich. Fill it with your choice of low cal meats and there you go!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness!:noway: 400! Really?
    I eat samiches alot and always use these staples:

Lite whole grain bread 35 cals a slice
    lite mayo 45 cals in 1 Tbsp
    lean lunchmeat such as deli thin sliced ham, turkey, chicken (even turkey pepperoni)
    reduced fat cheese American cheese 50 cals or fat free if you like it
    add tomato and a little lettuce
    and wha la!

There really are a ton of lesser calorie substitutes for pretty much everything, it just takes a little looking is all. Hope this helps.:smile:
  • Beth082485
    Beth082485 Posts: 48
    Options
    I eat a turkey and cheese sandwhich.....

I get the light, whole wheat bread (about 45 calories a slice), weight watchers cheese ( I think about 40 calories a slice), and the oscar mayer turkey slices (I think it's like 5 slices for 50 calories and it comes in different flavors)....

So it's about 180 calories for the sandwich... hope that helps
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Either a kankaroo whole wheat pita pocket half..80 cals or sara lee whole wheat delightful 45 cal bread with a can of tuna drained 6 0z and 1 tbs mayo... YUMMY you can add tomatoes and lettuce to make it more filling 240 cals.... and very filling...
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Josephs Whole Wheat, Oat Bran, and Flax pita bread-60 calories, very healthy and makes a great sandwich. Fill it with your choice of low cal meats and there you go!

Oh man, I love those brands!!!!!!
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

have you every tried veggie pita's?? I didn't think I would, but they are the bomb.

I mix my home made salsa with low fat or lite ranch dressing on a lettuce leat and then pour on the veggie burger asian style.. from Morning star
  • mommy22girls
    Options
    I have fallen in love with the mini pita pockets (I buy the Aladin's) and then I take some baby spinach and a few veggies -- whatever I have on hand. I use one of the little single serving tuna packets (it would be ideal for a counselor because you don't need to keep that refridgerated and it doesn't need a can opener... I also like to add about 10 sprays of the Wishbone Salad Spritzers for dressing -- then stuff the pita! YUM! (This won't really work if you don't like tuna -- but if you do, it is under 200 calories and great for protein...) Good luck!
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I discovered that I can cut my sandwiches in half and still feel full if I add a salad, a piece of fruit, and maybe some soy milk or yogurt. I use 1 slice of bread, 2 oz. turkey, 1/2 to 1 oz. cheese, 1/2 tsp. mayo, and mustard. This works out to be less than 300 cals, probably closer to 200 with 1/2 oz. cheese and no mayo.
  • mramig
    Options
    I think that the bread at 100 calories PER SLICE is killing me! Time to buy healthier bread!!
  • mramig
    Options
    I love tuna, but I was worried about how it would keep! I'll have to try this out. Thanks! :smile:
  • mramig
    Options
    Thanks so much! These sites are great! :bigsmile:
  • mramig
    Options
    It does! Thank you!
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I eat:
    Nature's Own Honey Wheat Light Bread - 2 slices = 80 cals (they also make wheat and white bread in light version)
    Oscar Mayer 98% fat free honey ham (water added)- 3 slices = 60 cals
    Great Value Fat Free American Cheese- 1 slice = 30 cal
    Total= 170 cal :happy:
  • frankp
    frankp Posts: 83
    Options
    Yeah, the bread is calorie packed. I thought my 80 calorie per slice bread was good, but I see there are 40 cal per slice to try.

And add fruit to your lunch, most fruit is pretty low in calories.
  • huskergal15
    huskergal15 Posts: 102
    Options
    I love veggies sandwiches. Whole wheat pita or bread, a bit of humus, cucumbers, tomatoes, spinach, roasted red peppers, sprouts... YUM! Okay, just made myself hungry thinking about it!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    how about a whole wheat pita with some turkey and veggies inside........ or tuna and lettuce.
  • clojac
    clojac Posts: 10
    Options
    boca burger flame broiled
    borden fat free sharp cheese slice
    sara lee wheat bun
    255 calories 6 grams fat
    Very good for cheeseburger lovers!:bigsmile: