I would have been a great athlete but....

Options
2bfitforever
2bfitforever Posts: 87 Member
--- I broke my leg skiing for the first time at age 10 1/2 in 1978 AND was then sidelined on my softball team that spring season THEN

-- My family moved from Iowa to Ilinios in June of 1978 (same yr. that I broke my leg) AND I was too scared to join any sports AND

-- Three girls at my new school (still 1978) made fun of me during gym class when I ran -- they said my hair would swing back and forth like a horse's tail. I would try to hold my head so still so my hair would not move but it never really worked so I ended up walking (with those same three girls!)

After that I never did any organized sports .... until tonight ... I am playing soccer with a all-women's team as a sub! Wish me luck (and to stay out of the emergency room.)

Replies

• kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You will do great!! I still play volleyball every Monday night, and I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't play anymore, its my one passion I get to do! I do play softball every now and then, but I love Volleyball, be it mud, sand or court!! =) Good for you getting back into sports its a great way to burn calories and really have fun! Best of luck tonight!
  • Mark_99
    Options
    Great stuff, getting 'Back on the Horse' that just bucked you off is one of the hardest things to do. You go and enjoy yourself play hard play fair and watch the weight disappear :-)
  • skinnyack
    Options
    Never too late to be an athlete. Good for you for getting out there!
  • 2bfitforever
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Can anyone else point to a time in their lives that impacted their weight/fitness level that they wish they could go back and change? Mine was definitely moving in the middle of Junior High (middle school now for most).
  • GinaJ2006
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Can anyone else point to a time in their lives that impacted their weight/fitness level that they wish they could go back and change? Mine was definitely moving in the middle of Junior High (middle school now for most).

I remember in high school I decided that I would join weights. The teacher for that class gathered all the girls that were joining and lectured us about how he knew girls just joined and never did anything and that basically made it clear he didn't want us. Then he didn't show us how to use any of the machines, so I was too self conscious to go back. I dropped the class and took badminton instead (which is totally fun, but still). I've always been a little self conscious around weights.
  • 2bfitforever
    Options
    Isn't it crazy that something so small as that affects us -- especially during middle and high school. I am trying sooooo hard to make my son (almost 12) and daughter (9) understand that they should do fitness/sports even if they are not the "best" or on the A team -- just along as they like doing it.
  • 2bfitforever
    Options
    Well I did it and survived! I am tired and sore but at least I can say I did it. Thanks guys for the support.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I had a spot on a college wrestling team, but they didn't have scholarships, and I couldn't afford to pay for school, pay for a place to live in the area and then spend 5 hours a day in school and 5 hours in wrestling practice, so I couldn't take it. Went to a community college and started the downward spiral. :-)
  • 2bfitforever
    Options
    I would say your downward spiral has stopped -- 114 lb lost is amazing!