why watch sodium?

bmorebatman
bmorebatman Posts: 50 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
i see a lot of people on here talk about sodium and that they track it. i know sodium is a big factor in water retention, is that why people track it? personally i track calcium because in the first few weeks here i noticed i was consistently getting half or less than my calcium, and as a lady that is nothing but trouble. is there anything i need to know about sodium? help me out :)

Replies

• yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    We are here to lose weight,,,, but also to be healthier. sodium is important in small dose but higher dose, is hard on the kidneys and is responsible for high blood pressure
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    also causing you to retain water = puffiness and extra weight!

It's bad for your health, and it's bad on your looks. Screw sodium LOL
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    I totall agree with Yanicka. Too much sodium not only retains water, therefore hindering your weight loss, but it's not good for you! If you are going to eat salt, use Sea Salt, it's natural. Stay away from processed foods, that's where sodium will really kick you!
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    I totally agree with all the responces so I will not repeat them but as for the calcium I take a vitamin to make sure I take enough.
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    I track it because I have high blood pressure and reducing sodium intake can help to lower blood pressure
    Louise
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    anyone with high blood pressure NEEDS to keep their sodium intake low *S*
  • shellster74
    shellster74 Posts: 3 Member
    I have never really paid much attention to my sodium intake but now that I am more aware of health and fitness I have been keeping an eye on it.
This discussion has been closed.