All Inclusive Vacations?

Options
MFP Family,

I'm interested in booking an all-inclusive vacation within the next 18 months (want to save up). Sandals and Secrets are SOOOOOOOOOO expensive, but I see great 5 and 7 night deals on funjet.com.

My husband and I are interested in a resort that is couples-friendly, but not, you know, gross (some of those 'couples only' places seem to stress how $exual they are. This girl just wants to be in paradise and isn't concerned about how horney everyone is). I'm fine if a place allows kids, but I'm steering clear of places that specifically cater to families.

Have you been to an all-inclusive? Which one/where? What did you pay? What did you think of the accommodations/food/activities/staff/etc?

Charmagne

Replies

• mrsfloisand
    mrsfloisand Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    About 2 years ago we went to Cozumel, Mexico and stayed at the Wyndham Saber Adults Only All-Inclusive Resort. It was great! Food was pretty good for Mexico, the service was awesome, rooms were really nice. It wasn't a creepy adults only hotel, just nice not to have kids running around. The price was great it was around $2000 for flight, resort, everything for 10 days. We loved it and want to go back or at least expect the same treatment if we go some where else, but no matter where we go we will go all-inclusive.
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    We went to Sandals Antigua and LOOOOVED it! The food wasnt as amazing as I would have liked, but the beach, pools, excursions, and relaxation made the food bearable :)
    I dont remember the exact cost, but I know we were broke at the time (it was our honeymoon), so it couldnt have been much! haha

We have a lot of friends who have been to Sandals resorts around the caribbean and every single person raves!
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I've done an all-inclusive in Jamaica (Ritz-Carlton) and Punta Cana (in the Dominican Republic - named Melia Caribe).
    Ritz was WAY WAY overpriced. I liked Jamaica but would steer far clear of that.
    Melia Caribe was a great deal (I would prefer not to say how much as I paid for my fiance and she's on the site and would totally stalk for it).

Anyway, I've had numerous friends go to similar (4-star or better) all-inclusives in Punta Cana that are all on-par. The accommodations, activities, staff and atmosphere was great. The food doesn't necessarily live up to "My Fitness Pal" standards though (healthy). It wasn't horrible (some all-inclusives are), but I wouldn't give glowing recommendations either. I highly recommend the resort, but warn you that most of the foods (though natural) are high in fat/calories.
  • Charrisse
    Options
    Moon Palace mexico.
    We go twice a year - its beautiful. Its HUGE. Like the size of a small town. There are 14 resturaunts and like 20 bars including swim up and pool/ beach bars. If you want quiet and romantic stay on the Moon Grande side - thats where we stayed last time gosh it was beautiful.
    Since there are 2.5 miles of beachfront .. we walked back and forth so much I actually ate and drank like a HOG and lost weight lol We stayed at the moon grande side and walked over to the other side (Sunrise) where all the partying is and our fave breakfast resturant.. we probably walked back and forth 5 times a day. It adds up!
    Message me for more details if you like, or photos. We are members (like a time share but not) and I would be happy to give you a week at our price.
  • TanMac
    TanMac Posts: 77
    Options
    My husband and I got married at Riu Ocho Rios in Jamaica. It was amazing and would go back in a heartbeat!! We had to book in advance because we needed to secure our wedding date and paid close to $2000/each for 7 days in Junior Suite in the Deluxe Wing. If you book closer to when you travel it's probably 40-50% less.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I just came back from a 5 night all inclusive trip to Playa Del Carmen. It was my first so I can't compare it to others. We booked through Apple Vacations. It was a 5 star rating. It was absoultely amazing! It was a family resort though but I would highly reccomend it. We stayed at Iberostar Tucan. For me to have a room alone was about $1100 the other couples I went with paid about $900-$1000 a piece.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I just spent a long weekend (Thursday to Monday) at Sandals Whitehouse (Jamaica) for my sister's wedding in January and LOVED it!! She and her husband paid my way (woo hoo!!) so I have no idea of the cost, but the resort was beautiful, the food was delicious, the drinks were fabulous and there were a ton of things to do on the resort in addition to the excursions offered (some of the other folks there for the wedding raved about their excursions). The bus trip from the airport to the resort was a bit hairy (safe enough, but a bit nausea inducing) but once on the resort, I had a GREAT time!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Some great sites to find packages are Bookit, travelocity, expedia, and orbitz. We booked a 5 night all inclusive on bookit.com. I you book far enough in advance you can save a ton of money. We stayed at Occidental Allegro Playacar. They had cute little bungalo style rooms with thatched roof and hammocks on every patio. We booked six months in advance and only paid about $600 each for 5 nights all inclusive, including airfare and airport transport to Playa Del Carmen. The resort wasn't as nice as Riu or one of the newer places, BUT, do you really spnd that much time in your room? It was well worth it to us to sacrifice a couple of stars to be able to afford more nights. The resort was nice, the beach was FANTASTIC, and the food and drinks were freeeeee. Beware that most food at all inclusives are buffets. Between the food and drinks, I gained about 4 pounds on my vacation. It was worth it.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    . Beware that most food at all inclusives are buffets. Between the food and drinks, I gained about 4 pounds on my vacation. It was worth it.

Ain't that the truth!? I haven't been to a buffet in years until I went on my trip a week ago! Ouch!!
  • nadiakim
    nadiakim Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My husband and I and another couple went to Punta Cana in the Dominican republic for a long weekend. The place we stayed was all inclusive. We booked through hotels.com but I do not recommend using the club caribe shuttle service because they left us and we almost missed our flight. Other than that. The place was beautiful. We went in fall after kids were back in school. Stayed in the adults only section, and were treated like royalty. The room itself was beautiful and we had only a small walk to a private beach. I highly recommend it was our first vacation in ten years together as a couple and we had a blast. The people are so friendly. Premium drinks were included and they even had a mini bar in your room. And you can ask for a bulter to turn down your beds and spray citrusy smells, they will hook up your in room jacuzzi and all. The place was called the Magestic Elegance. You have to book the Elegance club room to get all the features. We payed a total of 2000 including flights, meals, drinks, tips, transport to and from airport for thursday night to monday stay but it was so worth it. If you price it out I think later in the fall the prices dropped even more.
  • Lindsay7360
    Options
    Bump.. need these ideas for future use! :)
  • emalay
    emalay Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    We've stayed at the Gran Bahia Ambar in Punta Cana, Dominican Rebuplic and the Gran Bahia in Runaway Bay, Jamaica.....love these resorts! Great food, great service and nice rooms and resorts. The Gran Bahia Ambar in Dominican was adults only! I would go back to either of these places in a heartbeat.
    We spent @ $1500 Canadian each for the week! Well worth it!
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    My all time favorite vacation EVAH was at Dreams Resort in Cancun. They have several resorts in Mexico. We went in June of 2007 and with airfare we spent less than $3500 - we were there Sunday through Saturday. It was amazing. There were kids there and families, but you never felt like they were everywhere or bothersome, we hardly noticed. There was always a beach chair available and shade, even though there were a lot of people there. It never felt crowded. That could be because it's right on the point of Cancun and had 2 beaches. It's a very popular spot for weddings, there was one every day we were there! One night during our stay, the staff came in and set up our room all romatic and cozy with champagne and roses and towel sculptures. It was fantastic.

We booked through Apple Vacations and were SO pleased, we may never do it a different way. There was an on-site advocate there who helped us navigate Mexico and set up activities. I don't have enough good things to say. Recommend it to ANYONE and everyone.

PS: The food was GREAT. We at sushi on the beach most of the nights. I came back the exact same weight even though I gorged on food and booze because we did 3 day trips where we walked or snorkeled a good 4 hours each time. That plus the heat and the amount of water you have to drink to stay upright kept me from gaining.
  • maisie_moo
    Options
    What about something totally different? I've visited White Stallion Ranch in Tucson (first time last year and returning this April/May). Everything is included and you can be as involved or not as you wish - I spent the week alternating between riding and chillaxing by the pool. There were only a couple of young children there - no teenagers/pre-teans and you didn't know they were there. It's an amazing place and everyone is just so friendly and can't do enough for you. The food is to die for but as you're exercising too it helps! Can't recommend this place enough!
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    :smile: These sound great! I'm planning my honeymoon for this June so i'm borrowing these ideas
  • vayax
    vayax Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Paradisus Playa Conchal in Costa Rica... it is super nice, the food is great...you have buffet and also a la carte restaurante that are part of the all-inclusive. You have a mini bar in your room also included.

One part of the hotel called "Royal Services" is for adults only so no kids in that area... It has it's own pool and service its outstanding!
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    bump bump bump - Great post!
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Couples Swept away in negril jamaica.

it is ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!

It is kind of "expensive" but in my opinion it is worth EVERY penny.

If you want specifics, message me!

I'd go there RIGHT NOW if i could, lol.
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    resortvacationstogo.com is a great site! I've booked 2 trips to jamaica through them, and they've been great, no issues or problems :)
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    bump =)