In need of weight training tips

Giovanni_P
Giovanni_P Posts: 107
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I've never been a weight lifter. I only go to the gym and do cardio. But i'd like to incorporate some weight training into my routine. The gym I go to has every weight machine you can think of, and free weights. In the past I have tried some weight lifting, but soreness usually prevents me from continuing.
So for a virtual beginner, what are some recommended weight training exercises that I can incorporate into my daily routine? Any tips would be appreciated.
thanks.

Replies

• Two things to remember when lifting: intensity and form. You don't want to go so heavy that you're not using proper form. As for intensity, keep your time between sets to a minimum.

I try to shape my workouts around compound movements. Compound movements give you the best workout and incorporate the most muscles. The staple exercises for me are bench (sometimes with dumbbells), squats, and deadlifts, rows, and pullups. Everything else fits around those. I lift 3 days a week usually giving my body a day between for rest. Hope that helps some!
  • futfurd
    futfurd Posts: 33 Member
    Soreness is going to come with the territory for a while, but it does get better. In my opinoin the best way is to isolate certain body parts, and lift 3 or 4 days a week. For instance work shoulders and arms Monday. That workout could include upright rows, bicep curls, hammer curls, tricep extensions, and shouolder flys.

Wednesday could be chest and back with pull downs of various widths, back flys, bench presses, and butterflies

Friday you could do legs and butt with squats, extensions, leg curls, and lunges.

work some core in with some cardio the other two days of the week.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    The basics are definitely squats, leg press and dead lifts for legs and bench, overhead press and curls for upper body. Most gyms offer a training session with your membership to set up a program. They will show you exercises, the proper form and such. Totally worth the time and investment (if it isn't included).

Soreness is going to happen, especially if you do not lift regularly. Know that it will get better. Warm up and stretch well before, and college down and stretch after. The next day, drink lots of water and take an advil if you need to.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.