Pants sizes

Options

Replies

• itsf8
    itsf8 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm down 15 lbs and still in the same pants. My shirts, though fit so much better. The sleeves are even long enough now, lol! And my shoes fit looser. I'll be really excited when my waist starts shrinking.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I see this topic a lot so you might do a search of past posts. But I think it varies by person honestly, and how much weight you have to lose. I seriously wore size 22 pants from my highest weight of 307 all the way down to about 240 or so, then fit into an 18 (skipped over 20).

Now I am in a 14, but it seems the more weight I lose the faster I need new sizes. My 16s got big on me much faster than the 18s.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Lost 38 lbs in my 7 month journey and down 6" in my pants, from 38 inch before to 32 inches now.

I know nothing about women's clothing .. so cannot help you there as men and women measure their clothes differently.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    The bigger the size the more loss required. Once you are down in the small sizes very little wt change will jump you a size.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I've lost 18 pounds and my shorts are starting to slide down a bit. I was just thinking today, should I go shopping or wait a little bit.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am down 25 since jan 31st and have not gone down a pant size.
  • polkadotmoon
    Options
    The only things that have reduced to the point of needing a smaller size so far have been my breasts, and that wasn't quite the reduction I was hoping for. At this rate I'll be flat chested and still wearing my fat pants.

As a lot of people have said, everyone will lose weight differently depending on their structure and fat deposits. Plus I've noticed the more you need to lose the more that needs to come off before you see any differences; I started at 220, and while people have noticed that I'm looking a little slimmer I'm still 18lbs down and no closer to swapping my size 20 trousers for anything smaller XD.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I think others have made a great point about losing weight from different areas. Everyone's body works differently that way. Since I started measuring my bust (right under where the bra sits), waist, and hips, I have lost about 10" from hips and waist and only 1" from my bust. But I did lose a huge amount of back fat which helps me fit into much smaller shirts & jackets. Still, that is a lot different from someone who loses the same amount of inches in all three measurements or loses JUST from their bust and not from hips/waist.
  • bedwellchris
    bedwellchris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm still wearing the same pants size and enjoying the fact that they are loose. I did need to add a belt yesterday which was a great feeling. I have plenty of the next smaller size but don't want to be disappointed if they are tight. When my larger size is almost falling off of me, then I'll pull out the others. It is so wonderful not to be "poured" in my bigger size.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    OP, I don't go down a pant size until I've lost 15-20lbs.
    Sometimes I won't go down a pant size until I have had the weight off for a few months.
    It happens eventually, but you just need to be patient.
    Everyone holds their weight a bit differently, and those of us that have stubborn hips/buns/thighs are just going to have to be more patient to see the pant sizes drop.
  • boombalatty123
    boombalatty123 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think I've gone down a size, but so far haven't bought anything new. I can't wear my husband's old jeans anymore, because they're ridiculously large (and neither can he, because he's losing too!). My skinny jeans are all baggy, and I need a belt to hold them up. About five more pounds and I'll buy a couple new pairs of pants, which I hope will last me until I'm close to my initial goal weight.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! I've lost almost 10 lbs and I'm still a size 12 in women's jeans. I've also lost 3" on my waist and hips, so I'm definitely shrinking. I think I'm going to try to wear my size 12s for as long as I can (or leggings) so I don't have to go pants shopping on the regular.

I've seen a lot of people drastically change pants sizes by starting to lift weights. Having more muscle mass burns fat more even while resting and you'll lose inches which = smaller pants.
  • judylutz
    judylutz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Are you cutting calories and upping the exercise? This will help you lose pounds ,but unfortunately it is not all about calories. You must burn fat to lose pants sizes. The difference is getting all the nutrition your body needs first - that way it can function the way it was meant to. If you are only counting calories and not paying attention to essential vitamins and minerals, your body will get what it needs from within, and that leads to bad health. If you are in starvation mode by cutting calories the body will protect itself by holding onto fat.
  • judylutz
    judylutz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I cheat all the time but make sure I get proper nutrition. I have gone from a size 16 to a size 6 and the weight loss is a side benefit.
  • tattedbarbz
    Options
    I've lost 32lbs and haven't gone down 2 sizes yet. But in the past couple of weeks i've added more weight training into my routine (doing ripped in 30 aswell as cardio) and my jeans are already a lot looser. So helps if you're working out well aswell.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I started my journey at size 14 pants. I'm now a 4. But yes, I remember wearing size 13 forever, and size 8 forever. So I guess sometimes it just happens like that.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    The only things that have reduced to the point of needing a smaller size so far have been my breasts, and that wasn't quite the reduction I was hoping for. At this rate I'll be flat chested and still wearing my fat pants.

As a lot of people have said, everyone will lose weight differently depending on their structure and fat deposits. Plus I've noticed the more you need to lose the more that needs to come off before you see any differences; I started at 220, and while people have noticed that I'm looking a little slimmer I'm still 18lbs down and no closer to swapping my size 20 trousers for anything smaller XD.

Yes!! I agree... I'm down 35 pounds and the only thing that's changed size wise is my bra!

I lost almost 90 pounds a few years back and went from a 22 to being able to be in an 18 on a good day and that is it! I was at 189 then... I have a friend who is at 189 now and she wears a size 8 or 10..... Go figure!!
    But I DID go down to a size small shirt back then and down a shoe size and to an A cup bra....
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I started in a 6, and at about 12lbs down, I'm back into 4s BUT, I carry most of my fat in my booty so toning there made a substantial difference for me.
  • Clash1001
    Clash1001 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Mine goes off my waist and hips really quickly - I'm down a size (uk 16 now uk14) in my trousers and only lost 10lb.

It hangs around like a booger on my shoulders, arms and chests so basically i look like a triangle. When I've lost weight previously, I lost 40lb before it evened out a bit.
  • ashmarie8722
    ashmarie8722 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    1) Most people wear the wrong size clothes
    2) there are too many differences in sizes to compare 12 at one store to 12 at another store
    3) There are too many different fits and styles to compare jeans, you will go down sizes in a higher rise faster than in a low rise and so on. ( if you are losing tummy weight, and your jeans sit on your hips! )
    4) Measurements are a good way to track clothes vary to much to be accurate