bites here and there

Options
donna0003
donna0003 Posts: 18 Member
How do you account for snacking thoughout the day? i.e. eating samples in the store, having a bite or two of my kids snacks, or couple bites of mac and cheese. Things that you don't really eat a whole, half, or even a quater of a serving of.

How do you count that? Does anyone else experience this?

Replies

• donna0003
    Options
    How do you account for snacking thoughout the day? i.e. eating samples in the store, having a bite or two of my kids snacks, or couple bites of mac and cheese. Things that you don't really eat a whole, half, or even a quater of a serving of.

• banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

personally, I either just don't do it, or I log it. Otherwise you're only cheating on yourself.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Yup....what Banks said. It's kinda good because if I don't know the calories in something it does NOT get eaten. That's why logging in EVERYTHING really works.Period.
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I can generally make a guesstimate. My theory is sometimes I'm probably over, sometimes under on what I actually entered, so over the long run it will even out.
  • mamica123
    mamica123 Posts: 1
    Options
    Just think if you keep picking at things all day long, by the end of the day wou would have probably gone over your calories. It's ok to pick at things, but in moderation. Everytime i pick i right it down, maybe halfway though the day, so as to moderate myelf. If you are gonna pick at something, make it like almonds, apple slices. Or if you get the urge, just grab a full glass of water and drink it. Good Luck!!
  • dawn66
    dawn66 Posts: 166
    Options
    I really understand where your coming from. I didn't notice how bad I picked until i was visiting my mom one day and she pointed it out. So Just this past week I am really concentrating on writing everything down, and if I really want a little bit of something I put it in a bowl and measure it. That way I know exactly what I am putting in my mouth. Good luck.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    This is one of my biggest hurdles in this. I keep all the snack foods out of site or not in my house at all. I try to get the leftovers in the fridge as soon as possible. Everything else I either just say no too or I do try to log it as soon as possible. It is hard with kids because there is always something that they have that I feel like I want a bite of. But I now try to put their leftovers in the fridge too.

While I am cooking a dinner that begs to be tasted, I cut up a cucumber and have that on the side to munch on. I could eat all day long and never stop but I figured I want this more than that extra bite so I am trying to eat everything conciously and realize the extra calories that are going in are going to show up somewhere.
  • jakspak
    jakspak Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    basicly i say DONT lol

if its not got a calorie count i stay away

good example but painfull one i took hubby to burger king with my daughter (he hadnt had it in a while poor boy was holding out ) so anyway they only had the info in KJ not calorie so i couldnt work it out so poor me sat there while they ate BK oh the smell the mouth watering. lol now i have the info i will be working it out and seeing what there i can eat lol although i forgot they do salads i think will have to check that out lol.

its hard but once you get use to it its just second nature snacking on kids food oh so bad idea.
    good luck i know its not easy i have an issue with leaving food on a plate and its a fight each day not to finnish off the kids dinner. lucky i have gym after dinner so i dont eat anything till after i ahve been so makes it easier to not eat it.
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Like banks said, don't graze and not account for it, every little bite adds up. If it goes in my mouth, I log it so I can be accountable. This is how I have had such great success!
  • insearchofskinny
    Options
    I agree with all these comments, Donna. If it goes into my mouth, I record it. Also.. I always over estimate... this way.. if I don't like the number rolling around in my head, I tend to not put it in my mouth. After watching calories or carbs, etc... for so many years (on and off of course) (hense.. trying to lose, again) ...I can pretty much guess at the actual caloric or carb value.

Good Luck! :heart:
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem while cooking dinner. I just stopped picking. It was hard at first, but I enjoy my meals if I dont pick at stuff though out the day. :bigsmile:
  • donna0003
    Options
    We'll I get the recording what you eat part, but I just don't know how to record it. Like how much of a serving size do you put? I know my best bet is to just not do it, but I am stubborn and if I am told not to do something I go overboard doing it. I'll try not to munch on samples and kids food, but in the event I do... I am not sure how to record it. Would you say a bite of something is .1 of a serving or is that too small?