HoW do I reduce body fat?

Debx12345
Debx12345 Posts: 210
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Need help in reducing body fat.

I'm 5'2", 130 lbs, 43, bmi 23.7. So really pretty normal range, then my body fat is 33.7 !!!!!!!,

Now I have ditched my scales cos they just don't move so decided to improve fitness, body fat etc, now I think 33.7 is quite high, so what tips do you have to help me reduce it.

Replies

• mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Mine was at a 53% :( I was told basically to do strength training and weights. I only do it 1-2x a week and I've lost 12% in 6 months!
  • weird. I'm also 5'2 but I weigh 155 and my body fat is like 28 or something.
    It was at 31 but it went down as I lost weight.
    The only thing I can think of is eat less fats (I keep mine under 29g/day)
    and drink lots of water.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Through exercise and strength training.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    http://www.nutribase.com/fwchartf.shtml

Weight training and calorie deficit.
  • Vicki_78
    Vicki_78 Posts: 81 Member
    bump :)
  • jkrobertson1998
    jkrobertson1998 Posts: 30 Member
    My advice eat clean, eat low calories, and exercise hard. Try interval exercises.
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    I am 5' 1 and I too weigh 130 and the scale barely budges up or down for 2 yrs now... Ive been trying to lower my body fat as well and am frustrated. What I found to be working just recently is burning anywhere from 400-1200 cal a day and eating 1500 cal or more with more cal burn and each meal eating carb, prot, and fat and eating every 2-4 hrs. I was only eating 1200 no matter what and low fat and I was always hungry and even gaining, prob water retention but the point is I started eating more and balancing the carb prot and fat and even though they were only ounces I started losing again... also I want to pay to have my body fat measured once a month, I recommend that:) good luck! let me know if you find anything out too!
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    And also what everyone else is saying about strength training, muscle building exercises, the more muscle you have the more cal you burn... pretty simply put.
  • tasiac23
    tasiac23 Posts: 48 Member
    My advice eat clean, eat low calories, and exercise hard. Try interval exercises.

Ya I've heard interval training really helps to reduce body fat!
  • fmouco
    fmouco Posts: 100 Member
    I am having this experience right now. I did a bioelectrical impedance analysis at my doctor's office and it showed 34% (I'm a 5'7 and 133lb). Don't need to say I was terrified...
    Then I went to a nutritionist that said that for non-overweight people the BIA method tends to show higher results that the body fat caliper (that would be more accurate in these cases). Well, mine was 28%. Still really high for my weight.

So, the answer apparently is: 3 to 4 hours of cardio exercises per week and weight training (2 to 3 times a week). And good nutrition, of course.

I am doing that for a couple of months and currently my percentage is around 23%. Oh, I forgot: carb control, no carbs after 18hs and good carbs (fruits and whole foods) during the day. And even more important than that, by doing all these exercises you can go up to 1600 to 2000 calories a day (you will be burning a lot). This will keep your metabolism higher than it is now.

It is not easy, we all know that...but I hope I could help with some ideas.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.