Pedometer Woes

ScarletFyre
ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
OK - at my work we are doing a competition where we count out steps every day and whatever team walks the most wins. This is great, however EVERY pedometer i try does not seem to work...not sure if i am just not the type of person who can use one or what! :) (For example, i took the same trip twice and it told me once that i did it in 7 steps, and the 2nd time in 450 steps).

So I have two questions:

1-i can estimate via different tools how many steps different workouts use (i.e. stationary bike, arc trainer etc) but what i am not sure of is how to calculate my normal walking otherwise...does anyone know what the "average" would be for an eight hour day in an office setting (you only really get up to get coffee, break, restroom etc).

2-does anyone know if perhaps a more expensive pedometer would be much more accurate (the ones i have were free), or would one just be wasting their money buying a more expensive one?

Thanks and i hope my questions aren't too silly! :)

Suzi

Replies

• I would suggest a Omron pedometer. Walmart carries one that is around $25. I've used previously and had good luck with it...plus I could put in my pocket versus clipping on belt/pants.

You'll need to follow the instruction on setting the steps for you - you walk out a certain # of steps and then measure that distance to determine your step stride.

Good Luck!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    I worked at a company that did this as well, and the free pedo's they gave us sucked. If you want to win, use the crappy one. If you want to use this to get fit, get a better one. I bought an Omron at Wal Mart for about 20 bucks, and it was pretty accurate. We had teams cheating (putting the pedo on their sock and bouncing their foot at their desk to get steps), so the competition really sucked, but was eye opening about how hard it is to get 10,000 steps per day.
  • I HAVE FOUND THAT IT HAS TO BE PUT IN THE RIGHT PLACE ON YOUR WAIST AND DOES NOT WORK WELL FOR ANYTHING BUT WALKING. I HAVE NOT TRIED A 100% DIG ONE BUT BELIVE RUNNING IS REALY NOT WHAT THEY ARE MADE FOR.
  • beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Suzie, our county did the chalenge thing for the last few years and we all had to switch to the more expensive meters too. the cheap ones did not work very well.
This discussion has been closed.