are heart rate monitors worth the money?

Options
Hi everyone,
I've never owned a heart rate monitor and never really considered one until today when I began to wonder if I'm actually burning the calories that are estimated on MFP. I googled heart rate monitor accuracy and found a bunch of articles that say that manufacturers of these HRMs purposely program formulas that will overestimate the actual effort/heart rate of the wearer. This makes me wonder if I should even spend the money on one. I was really considering buying one before, but now I'm not so sure. I don't have a lot of money to throw around so I don't want to spend unnecessary cash. I would love to hear your opinions on this subject. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    yes!
  • deannarey13
    Options
    Absolutely! I was hesitant at first as well, but I have owned mine for 6 months now and it has been worth every penny. The calories burned as calculated on MFP are estimates only. Everyone burns calories a litlte differently.
  • EDBENAGLIO
    Options
    TO ME YES WORTH IT. ONLY ONES WITH A CHEST STRAP. GOT MINE AT WALMART FOR $47.99. I WEAR MINE 12 HOURS ADAY EVERY DAY AND LOG IT IN AT ONE TIME GOOD LUCK
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    yes!!!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live with out my HRM. Mine is a garmin forerunner 405 cx and I use it for tracking my running distance/speed as well. It has my weight and gender programmed so that it estimates my calories fairly accurate (must change the settings as you lose weight). This is 100% worth the money!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I bought a HRM and use it every time I work out. A lot of people on MFP use heart rate monitors to calculate the number of calories they burn while exercising and have been extremely successful with losing weight. I absolutely believe in the accuracy in mine. I would just do some research on HRMs that are available around you -- see what store has a good buy on one. I would suggest the Polar brand! You might even find a good deal on a used one, just research some sites that are local to you.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I like my HRM but don't totally believe the numbers and when I input my exercise I subtract calories from whatever the HRM tells me. Despite that, I still find the HRM motivating; I often make myself go a little bit longer or harder because I like seeing the calorie count go up. (eta: I have my HRM set with my weight, age, etc. but I still don't totally trust it lol.)

HRMs are not just for gauging calories though. They can give you an idea of how hard you are working (or not). And if you track the data over time, you should be able to see some progress, which could be motivating.
  • em_lou007
    Options
    Hiya!!

I agree with everyone else - YES!!!
    It is soo worth it :smile:

I have been chatting to someone else about HRMs you should be able to get to it using this link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/168721-hrm-suggestions

If not use the search to look for "HRM suggestions"

I think you would find some of the info useful

good luck making your decision :smile:
  • kmvbear
    Options
    Absolutely! At least you will have a consistent read on your progress. The machines at the gym can vary, and with your own HRM you will be able to gauge your progress. Tracking calories is a major plus to an HRM, but the fact that I can make sure I am working out in a healthy zone is priceless to me. It is an investment in your LIFE, it's not an expense!
  • jadedjade24
    Options
    you can also Google Body Bugg, they are not SUPER expensive and a lot of them come with a 6 month online program so that you can see your progress everyday, and not just the days you weigh in here. Plus, most come with at least a 1 year warranty. I really want one and is totally on my wish list lol.

Even though my gym has HR on all of their machines, I would still like one for if I decide to go for a walk instead of to the gym, you know?
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    yes....espeically if you are getting "stuck" or needing a boost to keep your workouts going.....i am literally addicted to mine now.....i have to reach a certain goal each workout but then once i reach it i adjust to more...example...i want to do 3 miles and i get there but i'm at 321 calories burned...i end up saying, oh just go to 350 calories....then i get to 350 calories and i have done 54 mins and then i'm like ohhhh just go to 1 hr...and then i get to 1 hr and i'm at 3.78 miles and i'll want to get to 4...it's a vicious cycle that is great for my body and my weighins.....
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You all had terrific points. Thank you! I was thinking of the Polar F6. Any one have any reviews on that model or suggestions for a better one? I would like one that also counts calories burned but that doesn't cost over $120(I know that's asking a lot for very little $). Thanks again for all your helpful advice.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    They better be because I just bought the Polar FT4
  • AdamATGATT
    Options
    Even though my gym has HR on all of their machines, I would still like one for if I decide to go for a walk instead of to the gym, you know?

I never really got the point of most of the HRM's built into the machines at the gym. If you want a really accurate count, you have to hold onto it throughout the workout...but, you're not working out as hard as you can if you're not using your arms during the workout. I hate not being able to use my arms while on the elliptical or threadmill.
  • AdamATGATT
    Options
    You all had terrific points. Thank you! I was thinking of the Polar F6. Any one have any reviews on that model or suggestions for a better one? I would like one that also counts calories burned but that doesn't cost over $120(I know that's asking a lot for very little $). Thanks again for all your helpful advice.

I have a Polar FT4. It counts calories, shows your heart rate zone for the workout (with audible alarm if you go over or under...I have mine turned off) and was $60-70. It comes with a comfortable chest strap as well.
  • jadedjade24
    Options

I never really got the point of most of the HRM's built into the machines at the gym. If you want a really accurate count, you have to hold onto it throughout the workout...but, you're not working out as hard as you can if you're not using your arms during the workout. I hate not being able to use my arms while on the elliptical or threadmill.

the ellipticals at my gym allow you to use your arms.

I already told you my opinion lol. Body Bugg! And the digital one that counts calories burned vs consumed, age, and weight go for 69.99 plus the cost of shipping. It is still a HRM, I just think I am in love with the name and the price lol
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Go polar or go home
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

Most machines will read your cheststrap
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Go polar or go home

OK, going home later to use my Timex.