elliptical calorie readout.... help!

_Lisa_
_Lisa_ Posts: 61
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I run on my elliptical 5-min level4, 5-min level5, 5-min level6, 5-min level8, 5-min level6, 5min level5, 5min level4, and then do some sprinting intervls at the end. but I run for a total of 40-45min. the calorie readout on my elliptical says765. which seems really high but when you log elliptical in the exercise log it says 392. How can I figure out how many calories to log?

Replies

• jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Do you enter your weight in on the machine? if you do I would go by that... MFP doesn't know what your speed or intensity was.
  • _Lisa_
    no.... my elliptical isn't that fancy
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    my old elliptical was the same way - no place to enter my age or weight - so it looked like i was burning 600 - 700 calories during my workouts. the new elliptical has my age and weight, and i'm only burning 400-450. i trust my new one to be at least a little more accurate.
  • Get you a Heart Rate Monitor and it will tell you the correct number of cals burned... much more accurate then the eleptical itself. They say the elptical or any machine is only accurate the first 100 miles that is put on it, so I would get you a HRM and you will definately know what is correct..
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    If you're going to eat the calories, I would go with whatever is lower. Machines are really bad about overestimating calories burned. I have a chest strap monitor and my elliptical does ask for my weight, height, age, etc. The elliptical still tells me that I have burned on average 200 more calories per workout than my HRM does.
  • I bought a heart rate monitor and I wear that when I do my exercise. It seems to be the most accurate. I noticed the machines aren't accurate at all. Good investment to get though. Good luck!!!
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    I do the same on my elliptical (well not exactly the same, but varied high reisistance for about 45 minutes). My HRM says I burn right between 530 and 580, depending on how intense I amthat day. I am 36 years old and 150 lbs, and work out 4 or 5 days a week. Hope this helps!
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Most standard machines automatically average for a 150 lb person... If you weight less than that then chances are you are not burning that much, if you weigh more than that, then go ahead and record that number but you could very well be burning more than that!
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    My experience is that machines are always high and MFP is all over the board. Only way to truly know is with a heart rate monitor. It will be your best friend.
  • _Lisa_
    thanx for the input! sounds like I need to get a HRM
This discussion has been closed.