Healthy Choice steamers...

Options
I am loving the low cal counts on these. Today I am going to try the Balsamic Garlic Chicken. I'll post later to let you know if I liked it or not. I had the Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers - Grilled Basil Chicken, 1 meal and it was only 270 calories. Fits really well in my 1500 allowance the doc gave me a day. :)

Replies

• Eyvette1
    Eyvette1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    watch the sodium in those...it is really pretty bad.
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've had great success with the Healthy Choice meals. Sodium isn't too bad (hasn't made me go over my limits)... I just am wary of the ones with high sugar content. Other than that, thoroughly enjoy them!! :-)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    yep tons of soidum!!!!!! Sometimes I think we can do much better on our own by buying the right meat and fresh veggies ( I stay away from too much carbs personally).
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I am loving the low cal counts on these. Today I am going to try the Balsamic Garlic Chicken. I'll post later to let you know if I liked it or not. I had the Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers - Grilled Basil Chicken, 1 meal and it was only 270 calories. Fits really well in my 1500 allowance the doc gave me a day. :)

The Chicken Margherita is really good too. It has 500mg of sodium in it - not too bad unless you have high blood pressure then it isn't so great.
  • hardybelle83
    Options
    I've been eating the "All Natural" entrees that Healthy Choice came out with.. no preservatives & I can pronounce all the ingredients. Not perfectly "clean" but it's great when I don't have a lot of time. The sodium counts in these seem to be lower than the originals. I add in some steamed broccoli and I'm still usually around 300 cals.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I like them too, but really hate all the landfill waste in the packaging. I feel obligated to reuse the bowls, thus I do not get them that often.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I like them too, but really hate all the landfill waste in the packaging. I feel obligated to reuse the bowls, thus I do not get them that often.

I'm the same way. If they would make a reuseable steamer (preferably out of glass or ceramic to get away from the possible health hazards of plastics with foods) I'd be thrilled. I love their meals though, and they've broken me of the fast food lunch habit at work. (I suck at prepping and bringing food from home, that's all there is to it, lol.)
  • twogoots
    twogoots Posts: 96 Member
    Options

I'm the same way. If they would make a reuseable steamer (preferably out of glass or ceramic to get away from the possible health hazards of plastics with foods) I'd be thrilled. I love their meals though, and they've broken me of the fast food lunch habit at work. (I suck at prepping and bringing food from home, that's all there is to it, lol.)
    I don't like the landfill issues either, but when it comes to trying to eat healthy and on the run, this is a better choice than buying fast food and honestly that fast food had just as much landfill waste. :-P

Ok, the sodium count in this meal today was 540. High, but not excessive as some of them I have seem in the 800-1000 range. Tonight's dinner will allow me the extra sodium within limits on my doctors request. I do like to add pepper to almost all of my HC meals though.

I did like this HC meal today!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Good point about the massive amounts of waste the fast food generates too. And their sodium levels tend to be much much higher!!

Another thing, the HC Steamers have been very helpful to change my perception of appropriate portion size. At first I thought they weren't going to be nearly enough food but it didn't take too long to adjust to it. Adding an apple or orange or something helps a lot if you have trouble with the portion size at first.