Couch to 5K

healthyme2be
healthyme2be Posts: 33
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi All,

I'm starting the Couch to 5K program today and was wondering if anyone out there is currently doing it or has completed it. Any tips or advice would be helpful. I want to run outside but I want to work up to it ,so I'll be starting on the treadmill first! Thanks!

Replies

• HeyBulldog2011
    HeyBulldog2011 Posts: 25 Member
    Hey,
    I actually just started it this morning! I like it alot!!! Be warned there is a point where you think you may not make it, but keep asking your self why you are doing this. You want to be healthy right? Right! and think about it...the first run for the first week is only 1 minute long at a time (8x). It is a lot of fun and I say go for it!
    Add me as a friend if you want to be a support system for each other doing this couch to 5k!
    Hope this helps! :)
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Hey! We have a group of people who are working on it at different levels. They're all super-supportive.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/157757-new-couch-to-5k-c25k-thread-anyone-out-there-in-week-1
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    I'm on week 7 day 3 for my next run, and I'm loving it. I started it as a personal goal thinking I could never run. So many times I tell myself I can't do something and so I don't even try. At the beginning I thought I was going to die when I ran for 2 minutes at a time, and now I'm running for 30-35 minutes straight and not stopping at all. It's incredible what you can do when your brain doesn't stop you from accomplishing it. Think with your heart not your brain. You can accomplish this!
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    I did a modified C25K last spring. I would say it worked because I'm planning on a marathon in 10.5 months. My only real advice is to only compete with yourself. If you not ready to move up to the next week, repeat the one your on and be OK with it. It took me six months to get to a full 5K and I beat myself up for it in the beginning because I just couldnt keep up with everyone else. Once I realized that it was ok if I wasnt ready, training went much smoother.

You can do it. Good luck!
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Lots of people here are doing it or have done it. Tomorrow is Week 4, Day 3 for me.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Running is the best!! When I first started I couldn't run for more than 30 seconds at a time -- now I'm working on training for my 3rd half marathon.

I agree with previous posters, sometimes it will feel SOOO hard, but you can always push through it, or decide to give it a try again the next day. I feel like running has challenged me personally to get over my self-doubt. Don't tell yourself, 'I don't think I can do this,' because YOU CAN!!

I've heard lots of great things about this program, I hope it works well for you!
  • Thank you everyone for all the helpful advice! I've heard so many good things about this program. I used to run alot in high school but that was years ago. I'm just ready, mentally to do it again because i remember how good I used to feel - and it is such a good feeling :smile:
  • Hey,
    I actually just started it this morning! I like it alot!!! Be warned there is a point where you think you may not make it, but keep asking your self why you are doing this. You want to be healthy right? Right! and think about it...the first run for the first week is only 1 minute long at a time (8x). It is a lot of fun and I say go for it!
    Add me as a friend if you want to be a support system for each other doing this couch to 5k!
    Hope this helps! :)

Added you! Glad you're doing this to & I will definatly support you.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    I did the Couch to 5K last summer and am still running! I never really liked running before, but somehow the way the intervals are planned out make it very do-able.

One tip - don't feel bad if you have to repeat a week a few extra times - I had to. You'll still get there!

I went from being someone that hated running to someone that is actually bummed out when it's too icy to run outside :laugh:
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    I'm going to start on Monday. I have 37 weeks to train for a 10 mile and currently still weigh in the 19 stone bracket so have my work cut out. I'm hoping to be able to walk half and run half
This discussion has been closed.