Hip Hop Dance Class & HRM

Options
So...Uncoordinated me decided to try a hip hop dance class a couple of weeks ago and LOVED it! It is so much fun - even if I do look like a complete fool (I do - I watched in the mirrors) :laugh:

I didn't have the HRM when I started going, so I just left whatever MFP said. Last night, when I put the time (55 minutes of actual dance + cool down) in MFP, it said 477 calories. My wrist HRM said 1050 calories. That is a HUGE difference. I was definitely winded and it took at least an hour before I felt like my leg/stomach/back muscles weren't yelling at me, so I don't doubt that I burned at least 500 calories, but I can't believe that the difference would be that big.

Hubby convinced me to put in the 1000 calories for the exercise, but I didn't eat all of those back. I guess my question is this - when the difference between the HRM and MFP are that large, which do you use? Would it be better to take an average maybe?

Replies

• chantalicious
    Options
    I did that the other day with my spin class. It said I burned 760 calories here and the HRM said 1200! I am looking forward to what others think about this!
  • lisapisa1
    Options
    My HRM has a chest strap so I know it's pretty darn accurate. I only go by what my HRM says, I don't even bother to check with MFP says. Your HRM is reading calorie burn specific to your body and not making a general estimate like MFP does.
  • pocketsam
    Options
    I teach hip hop and street dance and I would say you would burn at least 600 cals per 1 hour class, especially if you are new to it. So so good for shaping your back, arms and legs!!
    Hope that helps :)
  • chiliflea
    chiliflea Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I always use the HRM figures... Don't know if that's the right thing to do but as it's all figured out from my own heart rate, height and weight I thought it was more accurate...
  • Kelleinna
    Options
    I would say go with your HRM if it's the sort that has a chest strap and you've punched in your height/weight/age/etc. It knows more about your body than the MFP counter does.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    never used a HRM but I'm sure I'm right in thinking that it records what cals you actually burnt doing that specific routine MFP is generic it doesn't always account for how intense the workout was or your personal capabilities I would put in what your HRM says
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    I am 31 but I always burn way more than these sites say I probably have. According to my heart rate moniter that is. I actually had a friend get snippy with me and tell me that there must be something wrong with mine b/c in Zumba I burn 4X what she does. But my resting heart rate is still at elite athelete status since retiring from ballet and let's just say I get a little "into it" at Zumba so I shrugged it off. Eat those calories girl!
  • beahawk
    beahawk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on your HRM. I heard the wrist HRM may not give you as accurate a reading as one with the chest strap. So that may be a reason it was so high.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    always use HRM if its a body media or body bugg I have had awesome luck with them
  • StephanieBFree
    StephanieBFree Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT40F with chest strap and it is extremely accurate. I have not found much difference between my heart rate monitor and MFP calories. There is maybe a difference of about 50 calories either way but not the difference that you are stating. Does your HRM have a chest strap? If it does is there a five minute fitness test you do with it to make sure you have your proper resting heart rate set? If not maybe go back to the manual and make sure you have everything set properly. Either that or you are getting an absolute exceptional calorie burn out of your exercises. If this is the case then that is fantastic. Keep up the rate you are going at and you will see some wicked pounds melting off. Just make sure you are eating enough though.

Also, remember that your height and weight do play a big role into how many calories you burn.

Cheers