P90X + Calories Burned?

Options
Hey, I've been doing P90X for a few weeks now. I'm not complaining about it at all -- I love it! I've gone down a jean size so far, fit into a new jacket, and I'm pretty sure I am starting to SEE it (muscles, fat loss, etc.).

My question is simply this: does anyone know an estimate of how many calories, assuming you stick with it and don't only do about half or something, each workout burns? I'm just wondering because I'm not sure how many calories worth of food I should be eating to make up for it. Haha.

Replies

• polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Only way to be certain is to get a chest Heart Rate Monitor...
  • neebelung
    Options
    THIS!

Everyone's exertion level is different (and your own can vary from one day to the next) so a HRM is the only surefire way to know.
  • jadedjade24
    Options
    get yoursef an HRM, that will lett you how much you burned during the workout. Everyone burns calories differently, so no one can tll you how much it will be for you. HRM is the best way to go and you can pick one up from walmart for about 50 bucks.
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have also been doing P90X (I do the lean program). I wear a Bodybugg so I can log intot he computer and see where I'm at when I'm done. I usually lose around 250 calories per workout.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options

This.

Even knowing your height, weight, age, gender, etc...the only way to know what YOU are burning is to get a HRM with a chest strap. Everyone is at different levels of fitness and hit the workouts differently.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I have also been doing P90X (I do the lean program). I wear a Bodybugg so I can log intot he computer and see where I'm at when I'm done. I usually lose around 250 calories per workout.

And I burn between 780 - 1000 calories per P90X workout. Everyone is different. HRM needed.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I echo what everyone is saying about getting a HRM; it helped me realize that I was OVER estimating the cal burn. But, FYI, Tony says to add around 600 cals to your maintenance calorie intake. That is a pretty generalized statement to make. But seeing that you are a young guy (I took a look at your profile) just over 200 lbs, it's probably a close estimation.
  • SweetCharity
    Options
    Nothing new to add - either a Heart Rate Monitor or the Bodybugg will let you know your individual calorie burn. I love my bugg, but if you're just measuring for workouts - a good HRM will do the trick.
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    I've gotta research this Bodybugg thing, never heard of one. Was thinking of getting an HRM but maybe the bug will work for me?
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor is less expensive.
  • jadedjade24
    Options
    actually, a Bugg only runs 70 bucks if you get the digital display one and not the one where you have to log online to see how you did. I dont like that one because you have to pay for the membership of that online thing after 6 months, and the digital one tells you right there without have the online graph. It's really up to you. I would prefer a Bugg over the HRM, but still havent found a store that carries them.
  • thedeegan4
    Options
    I've gotta research this Bodybugg thing, never heard of one. Was thinking of getting an HRM but maybe the bug will work for me?

I absolutely LOVE my Bodybugg. I really helps keep me accountable.
  • thedeegan4
    Options
    actually, a Bugg only runs 70 bucks if you get the digital display one and not the one where you have to log online to see how you did. I dont like that one because you have to pay for the membership of that online thing after 6 months, and the digital one tells you right there without have the online graph. It's really up to you. I would prefer a Bugg over the HRM, but still havent found a store that carries them.

You have to have the armband in order to use the digital display. It says right on the 24 Hour Fitness website that it will only work with the armband.