Do you workout during that time of the month?

Options

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Yep, I do. I don't do it as hard because for some reason my heart races and I get dizzy (I think it's iron deficiency), but I still do as much as I can.
  • scarterrn
    scarterrn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do. It makes me feel better and sometimes helps with the cramping. :)
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I've never thought about not. Any form of exercise helps decrease bloating and treat menstrual symptoms.
  • Arester
    Arester Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I always work out on my period! I feel 1000% better after my workout than before!! Exercise helps with PMS and period symptoms!

This is sooo true. It definitely helps me out and I don't like to use tampons either.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I found that if I'm feeling lethargic I need to take an iron supplement. I am also anemic so it helps to get me through that week. But you should try to workout during TOM.
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i generally do...i've found that although (way tmi) i bleed a bit heavier and longer, i have way less pain than if i don't exercise...and my weight doesn't fluctuate
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I do, and I have heavy periods & don't use tampons. I just use a night time pad & wear a very long & baggy t/shirt.:wink:
  • parakeet
    parakeet Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The first 2 days I don't work out,because I have really heavy bleeding and bad cramps all the way in my back and down my legs and I feel like I want to throw up.So I take it easy on my body and the third day I continue and everything is okay.I tried to work out once while I had my period,for me wasn't a good idea.It was worse afterward. But that is me,and for me it doesn't effect anything, I still lose weight and I am still strong.Oh one thing what I do is, I work out harder and more before my period comes so I am okay to take a brake for 2 days:-)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    It depends on how I'm feeling. I'm in the midst at the moment and last night I did workout (Taekwondo class = hard workout!) Today I'm kind of being a slug. I feel like someone has taken me by the middle and is wringing me out so I will probably skip it today. Tomorrow will be better and I'll make up a workout then since I usually take Friday's off. I've tried working out through bad days like today and I just end up feeling worse. The upside it, I have no desire to eat so I'm not doing any damage there! What I have eaten I had to force on myself.
  • appleshells
    Options
    I work out too. I experience terrible cramps (800 mg motrin 3 times a day for first 2 days). They go into my legs and I literally feel like death. Add bleeding to death into the mix and I don't want to do anything but I force myself to walk. Usually 10 minutes into the walk I feel pretty good. I will not run during that time though. I just usually walk at 3.5 mph. It does indeed help with the severity of the cramps.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I always work out on my period! I feel 1000% better after my workout than before!! Exercise helps with PMS and period symptoms!

^ this is exactly how I feel. There is no difference between regular day and TOM day for me if I exercise and eat well consistently.
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I usually have one day where I'm just too tired to do anything. Other than that I do workout, even if it's not as "hard" as I normally would.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I do work out. It's surprisingly helpful with the cramps...

Interesting to hear you say that. I find the same thing. Some serious cardio really helps cramps and helps to get rid of that puffy, bloated feeling too. Better than Pamprin! :):bigsmile:
  • exercisesucks
    Options
    I always do, no excuses.

ps. i have a wife and 2 teen daughters, so there TOM is my TOM. LOL!
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Ok WARNING this may get a little gross!!
    If you are talking about what I think you are talking about it is not only bleeding but also passing clots big enough to push the tampon out. I used to experiance this too every month which was why I couldn't wear them until I got on BC. It can be pretty nasty to be on the tredmill and have a clot pass and come down your pants leg. So what I used to do is just find something I could do at home like a workout DVD. That way if I had an accident I was in the comfort of my own home. Try to keep moving and doing something because you do feel better afterwards.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have and haven't. It depends on if I want a break from working out or which day I'm on.
  • takingbackalison
    Options
    I do, but I wear tampons..
    Back when I didn't, I hated running the track in gym class wearing a pad, so I definately understand where you're comin from. Maybe just try some other exercises instead, like maybe just focus on working your arm muscles or something. Then you're not just sittin around ya know
  • Olona
    Olona Posts: 70
    Options
    I don't but I know I should and when you do it ups your mood and helps with cramps and you don't feel so much like crap but you may need a nap afterwards:)
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I also force myself - I'll at least go on my walks during break/lunch. I also practice yoga on the Wii Fit (plus I have the "Yoga for Dummies" Dvd's) and i'll do some yoga as well. After awhile the yoga & walking combine help relieve the cramps & sometimes it won't last as long (does that make sense?)

I get severe cramps the first 3 days of my period. My lower back and legs hurt, and my cramps are unbearable. Does the yoga make it worse at first or help make it better quicker. I never thought of trying yoga to relieve my cramps.
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    I do. I keep track of it so I know when its coming. I'll work out extra hard that week so my rest day is the first day of my flow. I get super bloated and will gain up to 5 lbs before my cycle. I have PCOS so weight loss is super hard and my cycles are usually out of wack. I know from research that being at a healthy weight and exercise will help with symptoms.

Go to the gym but take your time. Lift weights, do slow walking or ride the bike. :flowerforyou: