Great south run October 2011

kettlewitch
kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
i have set myself the biggest challenge of my life. I don't do running, not since I was a kid so I am a complete road race virgin. I have just under 9 months to get myself to the point where I can do this race. It's 10 miles. I have spoken to a trainer at the gym and will be starting training proper on Monday which literally will be run for 1 minute, walk for 1 minute for as long as I can and build from there.

Bitten off more than I can chew? Possibly
Determined to give it my best shot? Definitely.

I will be running for CLAPA - cleft lip and palate association as my son was born with this. Any tips gratefully received!

Replies

• google "C25K". It is a great program for people that aren't runners to get off the couch and start running. There are a lot of us on here that are doing it.
  • If you want to be ahead of the game, the prgram he is doing for you is Couch to 5K. You can look it up online at this site and see what your getting your self into.. and Congrats for signing up for a race as a goal to achieve. Also you might sign yourself up for a 5 k between now and then..

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

From a fellow C25K graduate!
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    I ran this race in2004 and it is a fantastic race to run and completely flat system no hills to climb. The crowds are amazing at supporting you and along the way they have brass bands and other support acts that just adds to the happy atmosphere. I trained for the distance using a book called 'Running Made Easy'. Its a cool written by women for women. One of the authors had never run before in her life and she followed the marathon training plan
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Sorry typing this on my phone so a few errors. You'll love the experience :)
This discussion has been closed.