Warm Cabbage, Roasted Squash and Black Bean Salad

Options
meagalayne
meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
Had some green cabbage leftover in the fridge from soup-making that I wanted to use up before it spoiled and was inspired by a recipe I saw on a wonderful foodie and running blog for Warm Sweet Potato 'n Black Bean Salad (source: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/30/carrot-cake-smoothie-warm-sweet-potato-n-black-bean-salad/). So this is my take on it - With some alterations and additions! It takes a bit of prep, and makes a few dishes, but it's sooo worth it!

No pics unfortunately, but it's a gorgeous salad with lots of colour and plenty of bold flavours! Oh and did I mention it's packed with TONS of really nutritional goodness? Yep! Enjoy :bigsmile:

Warm Cabbage, Roasted Squash and Black Bean Salad
Makes 5-6 large sides.

1/2 cup dry black beans
Enough water to cover

1/2 buttercup squash (approx 570grams), cleaned, cubed with peel removed
1 large red onion, slice into 1/4 inch half moons
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
salt and pepper

1/4 large cabbage, chopped into 1/2 inch squares

Dressing:
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
2 Tbsp olive oil
3-4 Tbsp real lime juice
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Optional: 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (I didn't have any but it would be so good!)

** I omitted all the cooking oil and substituted it with cooking spray, since the dressing already contains 2 Tbsp of oil. Feel free to add it back if you prefer. I also use dried black beans but you could use approx 1 1/4 cup of canned beans instead, just rinse them thoroughly and account for the added sodium used in processing.

Ahead of time:
In a medium sized bowl, cover black beans with water and soak overnight. In the morning, rinse beans thoroughly, cover with about 2 inches of water and boil gently with a tilted lid until tender, 30-60mins. Allow to cool in cooking water and then drain and store in the fridge until you are ready to make the salad.

Preheat oven to 400F.
Spray a baking sheet lightly with cooking spray, and arrange cubed squash, red onion and red pepper on the baking sheet (I mixed them together for more even cooking). Spray vegetables lightly with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 mins, turn gently, and bake an additional 20 mins until squash is tender and all vegetables appears roasted.

While roasting, whisk together dressing ingredients in a large bowl. Fold in cooked black beans and set aside.

Heat a large skillet to medium, spray lightly with cooking spray, and add cabbage. Stir fry for 10-15 mins, stirring every few mins, until cabbage has softened and is translucent. Remove from heat but keep warm.

Once the vegetables are roasted, add the cabbage to the bean and dressing mixture and fold to combine. Then add the roasted veggies and fold gently (the squash will be rather soft and break apart if mixed too thoroughly). Serve immediately while everything is still warm.

For 1/5 of the recipe, using dried beans:
Calories: 148
Fat: 5
Protein 6
Fiber: 11

Meag :heart:

Replies