What Dumbell weights to use for Shred?

funnythunder
funnythunder Posts: 47
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone!

I have started doing the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and I want to get some dumbells to go with it. What size weights should I be using?

Replies

• 3's & 5's :)
  • Jessica_Lo
    Jessica_Lo Posts: 199 Member
    Good question. I use 3 lbs to complete the moves but I'm thinking I'm going too light. I saw on here today someone say they used 8 lbs and were considering increasing to 15 lbs and I'm thinking HOLY CRAP. lol
  • I have 3's but they're getting to be too easy. Gonna move to 5's.
  • Fabulous, thanks guys. I'll think I'll start with the 3's and progress to the 5's in a couple of weeks or so.

• emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    And if you're REALLY just starting, I've heard some folks say they start with just their body weight, and still are dying the next day!!!
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    I used 3's the first (and only) time I completed the 30-Day Shred. I am not ashamed to admit that there are still some moves (the v-fly's on level 2) that I had a terrible time with and considered going down to 2# weights. But just because I used lighter weights doesn't mean that my arms didn't get stronger! THey really did!

Now I'm doing her Shred it With Weight and have moved up to a 10lb Kettlebell. SO far it's kicking my butt!

When I redo the Shred at some point I want to do it again with 5# weights and no modified moves. :happy:
  • I used 3's and they were too easy for some of the moves and other's they were just right. I'd say get 3's and 5's and change it up. I just started level 2 last night and there is no way I could use anything heavier than the 3's for quite a bit of it! So make sure you at least have something that light.
  • I used 3's and they were too easy for some of the moves and other's they were just right. I'd say get 3's and 5's and change it up. I just started level 2 last night and there is no way I could use anything heavier than the 3's for quite a bit of it! So make sure you at least have something that light.

OMG, I just started level 2 last night and those V-Fly's killed with my 3Lb Weights!
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    I use 8lbs, (I don't have 3s or 5s) but I find a lot of the moves I can't complete because my arms give out LOL
This discussion has been closed.