Running Plan with ChaLEAN Extreme

Options
As soon as the weather breaks I vow to spend as much time possible jogging in the nice weather :glasses: . I'll be finishing my first round of ChaLEAN Extreme just about the time that the weather should start shaping up, and what I want to do is a schedule of alternating 3 lifting days with ChaLEAN Extreme, and 3 days doing 45 minutes to an hour of jogging outdoors. In addition to that, I would like to do "doubles" on my lifting days and continue my lunchtime workouts - 30 minutes of cardio. So, basically my routine would look like this:

Monday: 30 min cardio @ lunch, CLX after work
Tuesday: Jog after work
Wednesday: 30 min cardio @ lunch, CLX after work
Thurs: Jog after work
Friday: 30 min cardio @ lunch, CLX after work
Saturday: Long jog
Sunday: Rest
ETC... The days may change based on unplanned or necessary days off, but I would be alternating days of doubles & days of 45-60 minute jogs.

So my question is, what kind of running plan should I follow for this? I know serious runners do something involving short runs, tempo runs, long runs, but I'm confused on what all that actually means & how to do it correctly. I don't have a particular goal in mind as far as running races or anything, I just want to get a good 45-60 minutes worth of jogging/walking in 3 days per week. Right now I can jog 3.2 miles in 30 minutes. Any ideas? :happy: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• tahoemads
    tahoemads Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Here's a great resource for all types of runners and will explain all sorts of questions. It will also give you training plans. I love his techniques! www.halhigdon.com
    When you're a new runner, the key is time not distance. You are building endurance and stamina. As you progress, you can add in speed and hill work. I have become a stronger runner from interval work. For instance, I will run at 6.5 mph for a comfortable pace and then increase it to 7, and progressively increase it to 7.5, 8 and 8.5 for 1-3 minutes, and then bring it back down to 6.5.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Another thing I have to consider is not knowing at what pace I'm running. The track I'll be running (at our fairgrounds) is 3.1 miles, so I guess it will be trial and error timing the first few times I get out there.
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Hillary,
    Sounds like a great plan.

Do you have an IPhone? There's a great app (when it's working - it's had a few bugs of late for me) called RunKeeper that you can download for tracking GPS & speed/time. You should check it out. It's fabulous for running outside. :smile: Add me to your street team if you do download it!

Good luck with your plan!
    Vet
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Hillary,
    Sounds like a great plan.

Do you have an IPhone? There's a great app (when it's working - it's had a few bugs of late for me) called RunKeeper that you can download for tracking GPS & speed/time. You should check it out. It's fabulous for running outside. :smile: Add me to your street team if you do download it!

Good luck with your plan!
    Vet

That sounds like a great tool, and exactly what I would need, unfortunately I have just a regular old phone :ohwell: Thanks for the tip!