Lifting after giving blood? Normal loss of strength?

Options
Hey all,

I weigh about 170 right now (cutting after a bulk) and I sometimes have a hard time giving blood (low blood pressure = woozy towards the end). I gave blood yesterday and today I went to lift legs.

I am furious. I usually squat about 315 x 5 for my last set and my deadlift goes 225 x 5, 275 x 5, 315 x 3 (but sorta easy), then I do 1 rep maxes until I fail (usually around 405-415). I haven't lifted legs since last week, and I was only down about 5 lbs down then (I've been cutting for a month now so I'm happy with that).

So today I couldn't even do 275 x 5 on squat. I crapped out on like the 4th one with no energy left (and my pulse was like 150!!!!! I've never had that before). And on deadlift I missed @345.... I haven't done that in like 2 years.

Do you think this is normal from the blood? Or did I start burning muscle somewhere along the way? I want to start a refeed if I'm losing muscle but I'm in the rhythm of the cut right now so I want to keep it going if I can...

Replies

• skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I always feel a little weaker after giving blood. I think it's just because your body is using up whatever it can to rebuild the blood stores. You should be back to normal soon, and it will be nice new blood (that's how I think of it) Don't stop giving blood because of it. A couple of days of lighter workouts is hardly a price to pay for saving lives!!! Good on you for doing that! ;P
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Yup you gave up 1/8 of your oxygen carrying capacity in your blood it'll take about 3 days to correct fully. drink lots of H2O and eat iron rich stuff.
    Red blood cells are the O2 carriers.
  • Liz75
    Liz75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When I give blood it takes me about a week to recover in terms of my strength and stamina. Go easy on yourself, rest up. Eat some iron rich foods. Congratulate yourself on doing good for others!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You're down a pint of blood, it's normal to be a little weaker after that. That's why they always tell you not to do anything strenuous the same day and to take it easy for a day or two after giving blood.
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    Yeah I expected a little but I mean I'm losing like 25% on my lifts... that's like a year or two of work!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Well...blood IS somewhat of a factor in muscle function...all of it, I'm sure. I think it's pretty safe to say that a deficit in the blood volume circulating throughout your body might have a "slight" effect on decreased performance...

Asininity aside, the opposite is just as true. There are some athletes that will draw and store their own blood 3 days prior to their performance day [in reference to what MobiusMan stated], and then shoot it back up on the day they need. The increased volume of RBCs increased the oxygenation used for aerobic muscle use, giving the athletes somewhat of a major energy/performance boost.

It was a way for them to naturally juice up without the use of illicit substances, i.e. steroids. The only problem was that if the drawn blood wasn't properly stored away to prevent hemolysis, their re-injected blood would become septic and infect the rest of their fresh blood, causing infection and other good stuff.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    48hr break after giving blood.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I was kind of interested in this since I am thinking about giving blood for the first time next week. Good to know.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You haven't really lost that because the muscle is still there, the weakness is a temporary thing. Maybe try replacing electrolytes with a sports drink or coconut juice.
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    RMinVA - You shouldn't definitely give! The discomfort only lasts about 30 minutes and I think we can all be grown ups for that long :) There's no pain.... so don't worry about that.

I've never tried to lift so soon afterwards is the only thing so I was a little shocked how much it took out of me, but I would trade that for saving lives in a second!
  • MobiusMan
    Options
    Well...blood IS somewhat of a factor in muscle function...all of it, I'm sure. I think it's pretty safe to say that a deficit in the blood volume circulating throughout your body might have a "slight" effect on decreased performance...

Asininity aside, the opposite is just as true. There are some athletes that will draw and store their own blood 3 days prior to their performance day [in reference to what MobiusMan stated], and then shoot it back up on the day they need. The increased volume of RBCs increased the oxygenation used for aerobic muscle use, giving the athletes somewhat of a major energy/performance boost.

It was a way for them to naturally juice up without the use of illicit substances, i.e. steroids. The only problem was that if the drawn blood wasn't properly stored away to prevent hemolysis, their re-injected blood would become septic and infect the rest of their fresh blood, causing infection and other good stuff.
    Actually it is not the opposite. I was spot on. the three days allows the body to replenish the RB Cell count lost by the extraction. The athletes have the blood spun (centrifuged) and only return the RB cells which as I said carry O2. so they in affect minimally increase volume but add back 1/8 carrying capacity to the blood stream for O2. it's called blood doping and is as illegal. a blood sample will tell since your body is very good at replacing it's dead cells at a measurable rate. When the fellow in this thread worked out the same day he was under a 1/8 reduction (12.5% lower vol of RBC) that can easily equate to a 25% reduction in performance. Not only is the O2 carrying capacity cut but the lactic acid(byproduct of anaerobic respiration in muscle tissue from activities like lifting)...is reduced by a similar amount so it is a double whammy for lifters, particularly hardcore lifters. Many never give blood because of this...(don't be that way though).
  • MobiusMan
    Options
    I was kind of interested in this since I am thinking about giving blood for the first time next week. Good to know.
    Definitely do give blood but take a 2 day respite from working out hard. PS. weigh in right after it's about 2 pounds...lol funny but true
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Definitely do give blood but take a 2 day respite from working out hard. PS. weigh in right after it's about 2 pounds...lol funny but true

Scheduled for next Thursday. Good to know in respect to scheduing my workouts...GREAT to know in respect to my weigh in!! LOL!!
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    definitely give blood! It's such a wonderful thing to do. Just drink LOTS of water and keep your blood sugar steady by snacking throughout the day before you go!
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    I think Mayo did a study where they estimate it takes between 600-650 calories to replenish the blood you lost!