Is Gatorade better to drink than water while exercising?

ebrat86
ebrat86 Posts: 7 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I've asked several people this question and I keep getting different answers. I don't know who or what to believe.

Replies

• ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    no, unless you are playing an intense sport, or exercising for a prolonged period of time it's not going to make any difference.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Gatorade has huge amounts of sugar and sodium. And even the low-cal still has the sodium.
    Unless you're an elite athlete in danger of stroking out because of an electrolyte imbalance, go WATER.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    You should only drink water unless you are bonking during a workout. You really shouldn't need anything besides water unless you are approaching the 60-90 minute mark of high intensity workouts. I have to go find my links on how to calculate how much glycogen stores you are actually burning. but the 60-90 minute rule usually works. You should be fueled up before you start and replenishing glycogen immediately after those type of workouts.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    You should only drink water unless you are bonking during a workout. You really shouldn't need anything besides water unless you are approaching the 60-90 minute mark of high intensity workouts. I have to go find my links on how to calculate how much glycogen stores you are actually burning. but the 60-90 minute rule usually works. You should be fueled up before you start and replenishing glycogen immediately after those type of workouts.

Exactly!!
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    I believe there is nothing better than water. But the doctors on webmd say it depends on the type of workout and how strenuous. here is the site: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/what-to-drink-when-you-exercise
    Hope it helps!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Water, Smart Water or Propel are much better than Gatorade or Power Ade as far as Sugar and Sodium content.
  • ebrat86
    ebrat86 Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks for the input! I've been considering Gatorade because after the hour workout I have I get dizzy and nauseous. I tried drinking milk afterwards, as suggested by the instructor, and that didn't turn out so great. I was thinking it was because my blood sugar was low so I thought perhaps drinking Gatorade during the work out.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    all good info above.

i drink it straight after my workout along with my protein shake...quite an interesting mix of tastes....:p
    I do to restore the glycogen and to allow my recovery to get started.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    When I am working out to Insanity, I ad half a serving of Endurox R4 and other workouts I keep it just water
  • Jess21684
    Jess21684 Posts: 202 Member
    probably water for sure but I cant really drink much while im working out. I tend to get side cramps if im working out hard, which i usually do so whether or not i should be, i dont really drink anything while working out. Gatorade does have calories and sugar and all so i wouldnt drink that. I really like drinking Powerade Zero. Has zero calories and zero sugar and comes in diff flavors! I like to drink some of that after my workouts. propel is good too, and they even have propel zero now which unlike the orginal kind, that has a few calories propel zero has none!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    For normal workouts like classes, elliptical etc etc you need nothing other than water.

There is absolutely no need for any gimmicks lile Poweraide, Gatorade or God forbid Protein shakes afterwards when you do stuff like "Leg Bums and Tums".... It's not necessary.

If you're an endurance athlete and you run or cycle over 90 mins it would be worth looking at electrolite replacement and perhaps a carb gel.

Generic exercising does not usually warrant this.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Thanks for the input! I've been considering Gatorade because after the hour workout I have I get dizzy and nauseous.

The only time I feel like that is if I do a really hard fasted cardio session. Could it be that you need to eat better before a workout to fuel the session, rather than trying to get by on sugar while you're working out?
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Thanks for the input! I've been considering Gatorade because after the hour workout I have I get dizzy and nauseous. I tried drinking milk afterwards, as suggested by the instructor, and that didn't turn out so great. I was thinking it was because my blood sugar was low so I thought perhaps drinking Gatorade during the work out.

That's a good sign that you need to either pre-fuel 10 minutes before starting so you can buffer glycogen depletion and a post workout glycogen replacement.

I like pre-fuel with something that also includes B-Complex vitamins. AMP Endurance Booster P90X results/recovery

Post workout I usually use Endurox R4 without any Bcomplex but you can use ones with the B if you want and you may want to if you have a lot of your day still to go. There's also another Endurox for less intense workouts.

And if your really hammering away for an extended period you can sip them during a workout.

Hmm.. I think the glycogen calculations are in my Paleo for Athletes book. It's geared towards distance runners, triathletes, etc.
This discussion has been closed.