Need help from any runners out there....

Options
I've never been very fast and always hated running, but I know how important it is to get fit and lose weight so I've taken it up lately.. Bought running sneakers and everything. But my leg KILL me after only 15 minutes... I've seen improvement, since when I started mfp Jan 2010 I was barely jogging a mile at 5.5 mph... I worked my way up to doing running a 10 min mile 3 times, with a few minutes of walking in between. That was in sept when the weather was perfect for running outside... Now I'm running on a treadmill, no incline, and after running fifteen min at somewhere between 6.0 and 6.5 mph, my legs kill me, especially my quads... I always do a 5 min walk to warm up and to cool down...I stretch well and often.. My HR is always above 80% max.. My other activities include kickboxing and strength training... I work out at least 5 days a week, and run at least 3 of those days...
My goal is to run a 5k in April.. I know there is the c25k program but I've looked into it and I think I'm past that point.. There r days that I have just pushed through the pain and ran the straight 30 min for 3 miles.. But it's verryy hard to do and I regret it the next day.. Does anyone have any ideas on how to increase my legs endurance? Should I do more strength training for them? More incline, less time? Slower speeds more time? Build up endurance walking? I'm up for any and all suggestions.

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Did you get the running shoes from a specialty running store, where they analyzed you and helped fit you? This is crucial.

Another alternative is to go barefoot. I wouldn't try this at the gym (gross), but if your treadmill is at home, give it a try.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Read the book ChiRunning by Danny Deyer.

I'm a minimalist shoe runner and use the ChiRunning form, I've found my pains came from not stretching, cross training enough, and muscle imbalances. It really depends on the type of pain and how long it lasts and subsides. There are so many reasons for the pain, but I'm of the belief that running isn't supposed to be painful. ChiRunning really teaches that you run from the core so strong core makes a world of difference.
  • kristawilcox1983
    Options
    One major thing that I would look into is your running shoes.

If your calves hurt, it doesn't mean that you don't have the strength to endure a run, it means that your feet to knee positioning is off.

I would go to the running room close to you, or a running expertise store to have your feet analyzed. When i began running, i didn't have enough arch support to take the impact that each beat has on my foot, calves, and knees. The proper support (high, med, or low) is important, it'll also carry you through the run, because it'll offer the right rolling positioning for your body. Proper running shoes are not cheap, and you SHOULD NOT use your running shoes for any other cardio exercise, as the impact is much different.

I lost 65lbs in 7 months, i began with 5km runs, i did three 10km's and i'm at 18.5km and training to run a 1/2 marathon. if i kept my old shoes, i wouldn't make it.

You should also change your shoes every 6-12 months, depending on how much you work out. They too, wear out! with the amount of stress that running/jogging has on your body, it's important to keep your gear at top notch, so you don't wear the cartilage in your knees. thats a big ouchie.

the other tip is; don't run up hills - major ones. take a light jog, swing your arms up to your chest in order to open your chest cavity. running uphill causes a lot of stress.

sometimes, running rooms or local gyms have running groups in the morning or even on weekends - check them out. Most of the people in them are really encouraging and are willing to provide help to anyone willing to learn!

anyhow, i hope that helps! good luck!