the scale is messing with me

Options
This morning was my weekly weigh in and I was so depressed to see that I had gained half a pound. I know it's not much, but it's my first gain, so I was feeling pretty low. I got ready and realized I forgot to use the restroom before weigh in, so I weighed myself again. This time it said a pound less than the first reading, which was an overall weight loss of half a pound. I don't know which to believe. I weighed myself three times for each reading. I know using the restroom first is important but I have trouble believing it made a difference of a pound.

I of course would love to believe the second reading....but I want to do this right. I haven't really gone over on my calories all week, so the weight gain puzzles me, but then again I did have sandwhiches a lot this week, so maybe going over on my carbs is what did it?????

The only conclusion I could come to is that if I had had a loss on the first reading, I would not have weighed myself again, so maybe I should just go with the first reading of the gain and call it a day?

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    This morning was my weekly weigh in and I was so depressed to see that I had gained half a pound. I know it's not much, but it's my first gain, so I was feeling pretty low. I got ready and realized I forgot to use the restroom before weigh in, so I weighed myself again. This time it said a pound less than the first reading, which was an overall weight loss of half a pound. I don't know which to believe. I weighed myself three times for each reading. I know using the restroom first is important but I have trouble believing it made a difference of a pound.

I of course would love to believe the second reading....but I want to do this right. I haven't really gone over on my calories all week, so the weight gain puzzles me, but then again I did have sandwhiches a lot this week, so maybe going over on my carbs is what did it?????

The only conclusion I could come to is that if I had had a loss on the first reading, I would not have weighed myself again, so maybe I should just go with the first reading of the gain and call it a day?
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    take the half a pound loss. You've clearly earned it. And you'llbe suprised how much a 'weight' you can expelled after the lavey.

You've donw well!!! wish i could say the same about myself lol

Al
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hmm, sometimes you can get off and on like 10 times and it will come up as a different reading. It just fluctuates like that, which is why you should only really use the scale as a guideline when losing weight and not a true measure. I would maybe get on there a few times and average it out.

I had a maintain this morning. I had a big anniversary dinner on Sat night but had worked out well and got in a little extra walking even...but it was a maintain, which may have happened anyway (my body does that sometimes)...but, I also weighed on a different surface since the bathroom I usually weigh in is being re-tiled....so I am sure that can affect things too.

The scale can be a real jerk sometimes!!!!!
  • insearchofskinny
    Options
    I so relate!

I weigh myself once a week on a Friday... this way, the results.. whether satisfactory or discouraging, will influence the way I eat over the weekend.

I always weigh myself first thing in the morning, naked.. after the potty.

Because you forgot to piddle first, I would definitely count the weight shown on that second go-round.

My scale is a digital... they seem to be more on the mark. But I have seem that kind of fluctuation often enough.

Just for the fun of it.... Take a plastic bag and fill it with about a cup of water. (That's certainly the least amount of fluid you're dropping with your first piddle of the day). See how heavy it feels? When it comes to fluids... a pint is a pound.

Good Luck!! :heart:
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    surface always effects the reading.

The harder the surface the better...
  • laureneva
    laureneva Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    surface always effects the reading.

The harder the surface the better...

hahaha yeah
    i recently bought a new scale
    and i weighed myself in bedroom (carpet) and it came up with about 54kgs... i went into the bathroom (tiled) and it gave me correct weight
    :blushing:
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I would just wait until next weigh in and see what happens. But you did weigh before the potty. I know my bladder can hold a lot of water if you feel like you need to be right on wait until next weigh in and remember to empty bladder first. :flowerforyou:
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    they don't call my a genius for nothing!!! lol

also modist

lmao
  • Sing1outloud
    Sing1outloud Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    so if I am right , your bladder can hold 250ml before you even know that it is full, and I imagine that if it was your first time using the potty for the day that it would be to compacity ..... either way I don't know how much 250 ml weighs but I think that I would use your second weight if that is the way that you have been weighing in before.....:smile:

also I know that I have had the same problem I use a digital scale , do the whole naked thing after I use the rest room and have gotten several readings..... I guess that we all should just use the scale as a referance but ..... its funny how some times the scale can hold so much potential to your day .......
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    so if I am right , your bladder can hold 250ml before you even know that it is full, and I imagine that if it was your first time using the potty for the day that it would be to compacity ..... either way I don't know how much 250 ml weighs but I think that I would use your second weight if that is the way that you have been weighing in before.....:smile:

also I know that I have had the same problem I use a digital scale , do the whole naked thing after I use the rest room and have gotten several readings..... I guess that we all should just use the scale as a referance but ..... its funny how some times the scale can hold so much potential to your day .......

Oh totally, if I lost I am walking on clouds and go into work so happy....but today I felt like crap, which has made my headache bother me even more. I even was so slow getting ready and didn't have time to do my make up, so along with feeling like crap I probably look like crap as well!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    weigh a bottle of water, you'll see that using the bathroom can DEFINITELY make the difference of a pound or even more. you DID earn that 1/2 lb loss so take it and enjoy :bigsmile:
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    I would go with the second weight too. Why wouldn't you? After you went to the restroom you certainly did loose fluid = weight. I can see that that makes a difference.
  • divalovesyou1
    Options
    OMG!! I'm going through the same thing with my crappy electric scale!! I pretty much have to strip naked to get a accurate reading! :grumble:

I sometime feel like throwing that scale out the window :angry: ! But, I came to the conclusion I will work with it for now into I buy another (better quality) one! HA!:happy: