vigorous vs moderate effort

mielikkibz
mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm waiting on my MHM,but even then not sure if this would help

what's the difference between vigorous and moderate effort?

For example, I just did a 15 min stint on the bike(didn't exercise this morning, felt crappy, but felt bad not doing anything), and averaged over 18mph(did 3.79 miles when I finished). I'm out of shape, yep, sweating and panting. . I ended up putting into MFP as moderate, so as not to overguess my calories, but i'm wondering if it could've gone in vigorous.

so help? What's the difference

Replies

• atthebeach08
    atthebeach08 Posts: 63 Member
    Here is my thoughts. You did a vigorous workout. A Light bike work -out is pedding slowly and no sweating is involved. Moderate work-out would be a nice clip and some light sweating. Vigorous is all out peddling at a very fast clip and sweat dripping off your face. :bigsmile:
  • paulmmichaud
    paulmmichaud Posts: 59 Member
    I use my stationary bike every day, and I'm always dripping with sweat and going at full force and as fast as I can. I put in vigorous. Now if that describes you I say you are short-changing yourself if you put in anything but vigorous. Now as for very vigorous I have NO IDEA what that would be haha.

Paul
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Buy a heart rate monitor. Then you won't have to guess.
  • Buy a heart rate monitor. Then you won't have to guess.

Mine has a built in hrm with the bike, however I can't figure out how to input personal data. So what heart rate range is considered "moderate", "vigorous" and "very vigorous"???
  • mielikkibz
    Buy a heart rate monitor. Then you won't have to guess.

Mine has a built in hrm with the bike, however I can't figure out how to input personal data. So what heart rate range is considered "moderate", "vigorous" and "very vigorous"???

my bike does too, but cant' use it comfortably(the handles are down by my knees so I have to scrunch, not good for my back. . and I said I was WAITING for my HRM. .. and it still wouldn't help describe what the difference is
  • mielikkibz
    Here is my thoughts. You did a vigorous workout. A Light bike work -out is pedding slowly and no sweating is involved. Moderate work-out would be a nice clip and some light sweating. Vigorous is all out peddling at a very fast clip and sweat dripping off your face. :bigsmile:

that's what I was thinking, I can't see 18mph being 'moderate'. . .but maybe that's just me LOL
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    The $50--$100 for a good HRM is a worthwhile investment for life. Here is a link explaining heart rate and intensity. Ahh that's what you meant by MHM.

http://www.howtobefit.com/five-heart-rate-zones.htm

And if you're one of the lucky ones like me, that can work at max for extended periods, here's a good read too.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/VO2max.html
This discussion has been closed.