Meeting calcium requirements

Options
I alway though that I was meeting my calcium requirement but since using mfp I noticed that I'm falling extremely short of the target.

I've since started having yogurt daily and am still only managing half of what's required.

What are most people doing to meet their required calcium intake?

Replies

• mlloos
    mlloos Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I take a calcium supplement, Caltrate chews. I only take one a day, though, not two. I find that if I get enough dairy products, I can easily reach 100% with only one supplement.
  • Altiv
    Altiv Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    For me it's quite easy, I drink two cups of milk (one at breakfast, other at teatime) and one non-fat yogurt in the afternoon.
    I don't know if in US or other countries sells them, but where I live some bottles of water has some calcium included, so you can check those out.
  • ltowne
    ltowne Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you take a calcium supplement, make sure it has Vitamin D too. The D helps the bones absorb the calcium!
  • cheppy
    cheppy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    For me it's quite easy, I drink two cups of milk (one at breakfast, other at teatime) and one non-fat yogurt in the afternoon.

I think this is pretty good. I do the same as well ie 2 cups of milk and one serving of yoghurt and this is enough to meet the requirements
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Dark leafy greens and nut seeds and beans are outstanding calcium sources
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i buy the calcium enriched top50 orange juice (only 50 cals a cup) & i eat yogurt often for lunch, but i struggle with getting enough calcium too. i'm not a big fan of supplements, but they may be the only option unless i change my food choices to be more dairy/calcium geared.
  • TwilaG
    TwilaG Posts: 134
    Options
    I am diabetic and have been having trouble meeting my calcium. There are a lot of sugar in many of the foods that contain calcium. I am starting to think the only way I can meet my calcium goal is with a supplement. Are the chews the best ones?
  • DeeMonjure2B
    DeeMonjure2B Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am a fein about making sure I get my milk. I have read MANY times that the calcium is good for losing belly fat. I am proud to see someone concerned about it. 24 oz, in 24 hours. Keep that in mind. Yours suppose to get about 3 servings of lowfat or nonfat dairy per day. I do 2 glasses of milk and either yogurt, string cheese, or cottage cheese. It varies. If I dont get anything else I just do 3 glasses. Lots of times I drink it in my protien shakes. :)