No Sodium Snack Advice!?

Options
Ok so I have a real problem with sodium. Even with my own home made food I find myself feeling addicted to the taste of salt :(

I need to find snacks that are NO SODIUM.

any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• Belle_Fille
    Options
    i have the same problem. but everyone on here will more or likey just tell you
    apples
    carrot sticks
    celery
    etc.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    whole natural almonds are sodium free :D
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I guess the problem is, if you are tracking both sodium and sugar, then with fruit you don't have to worry about sodium, but your sugar allowance goes down.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Try a yogurt dip seasoned with salt free seasoning like "no salt" or really like the citrus and pepper one. Things like lemon, lime, vinegar...they make things taste a little salty. Try lettuce leaves dipped in malt vinegar or some other fancy vinegar. Tasty, but almost zero cals and no salt.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Actually not celery because it has more sodium than most veggies... I would definitely eat but not if you are already struggling with sodium. Unless you are going to use it as a replacement for something with more sodium.

Really, anything that is not a fresh fruit or vegetable is going to have sodium in it. Even some fruits and veggies have it.

Unsalted nuts is a good option too!
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I recently tried some emerald brand cocoa roast almonds...they are DELICIOUS and while they have some sodium, it's pretty low compared to a lot of other things, and the sugar was low too. 25 mgs sodium, 1 g of sugar and sweet enough to hit the spot with a sweet craving :smile:
  • Kellybegone
    Options
    Almonds! In the raw! I've found myself to be addicted to them!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Raw almonds and fruits.
  • MissMarthafromRI
    Options
    I cut some cauliflower off a fresh head of cauliflower, then cut that into small sections. I tried a spoonful of hummus with garden vegetables as a dip. My hummus with garden vegetables says it has 90 mg sodium in 2 Tablespoons. The list below for fruits has a comparable list for vegetables. Cauliflower is listed at 8 mg sodium for 3 florets, so a good chunk of cauliflower is still low sodium enough for me. I like the crunchiness.

Dried apricots are low sodium. My recommendation is to try 5. I now have Trader Joe's dried apricots and they are superior to other packages.

For sodium information, see:
    http://www.dietbites.com/Sodium-in-Foods/sodium-in-fruit.html

This is an article I thought covers your request in general terms:
    http://www.suite101.com/content/low-salt-snacking-a38559

If you need a sweet snack other than fruit:
    Sunkist in a bright orange box near the boxes of fruit snacks from other companies. We prefer this brand.
    Sunkist Fruit Snacks - Mixed Fruit
    Click on Google, then click on Images in the upper left side.
    Put Sunkist Fruit Snacks in the Google Images search box and you will see the orange box with the bright blue banner. A packet has 40 mg sodium. You may have to count out the pieces to eat half one day and finish another day. This is an occasional food. They have sugar and artificial food colorings.

http://healthyheartmarket.com/hhmsnacks.aspx
    Look at the pictures of products for ideas in your own local stores.
  • bka8
    bka8 Posts: 92
    Options
    I feel your pain about the sodium - but I scanned through your food diary and you dont seem to do too badly with sodium! Yeah, I find that I'm getting used to eating things without salt and steering clear of processed foods. Some days, I do crave salt and eat more than double my recommended lot, but its getting better. When I do go over, I just try to drink extra water. Snack wise? I struggle with no sodium too, but the fruits and nuts combo is pretty awesomely satisfying.
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate the responses. Fruits and Nuts seem to be my way to go. the problem is i don't really have a sweet tooth. I have a sour tooth. pickles olives vinegars anything sour, tart, so on. hell i could drink the rhinde right outta the pickle jar if i let myself. seriously. omg artichoke hearts. anything that's been preserved and/or salted. its insane.

satisfying that without blowing my salt content is nearly impossible. I've tried to keep my content down but i feel like i'm suffering because of it.

ya know?

Like they tell you don't deny yourself what you love or you'll go nuts. its portions.but 1 pickle can throw me.

and if i eat at subway as a healthy meal i've blown most of my sodium in one sitting. i think at this point i'm just super frustrated because unlike sweet, there is no alternative. ;(