Polar HRM

Options
I have searched through previous posts about HRMs and found that most people recommend the Polar brand. But I also noticed that there are like a million different options (FT7, F6, F4, etc.). Can someone tell me the difference and which they have/prefer (I just ordered INSANITY so I will be using it for that and I usually run intervals on the treadmill or workout on the elliptical)? And if you do not have a Polar but have a different one that you would recommend please let me know!

Thanks!

Replies

• jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    bump.....because I researched HRM's this afternoon, and with most of them getting almost equally good and bad reviews, I have no idea what to get! :grumble:
  • ahbach2005
    Options
    I have an FT7
    -you can enter your age weight etc and it will adjust the calories you burn based on age gender etc.
    -You can store up to a week of exercise...or more..can't remember
    -you can set alarms for your min and maximum heart rate, or you can go with what it sets for you
    -you can buy a sensor that allows you to upload your data directly to an account on Polar's website that is free with the purchase and it will chart your results/progress for you
    I don't think you can do that with the F4 or F6

I found for the money it was enough of an hrm for me. Just remember when they say to wet the sensor strap down they really mean it. It will not connect or it may drop the signal if you dont do it properly.

I really like mine it is the second polar hrm I have had in over 10 years so i would say it is a good product

hope that helps
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I don't have one, but, I have been doing lots of research too. You can compare all models here...
    www.polarusa.com/
    I like the FT60, because it has the star coach. Not sure I want to spend that much though!
  • jerseygeorge
    Options
    I purchased the FT7 today and used it for the first time. I like that it monitors heart rate and calorie burn. It was easy to program, I just watched a video on-line. I logged the data into the exercise notes. It will give you the time of exercise, calorie burn, maximum heart rate, average heart rate.

My only observation is that I know my heart rate recovers very quickly (I even observed this in a stress test last week). The rate on the Polar comes down very slowly. That part is not accurate but overall I like it. I think I will get excellent comparisons from one workout to another. And as you know from filling out these web pages, the more calories you burn, the more you get to eat! Yeah.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4, and have been really pleased with it so far. I'm getting accurate calorie burns and seeing my heart rate clearly vs "guessing" by plugging in comparable exercises on the site database. Get the chest strap for best accuracy. I don't even notice I'm wearing it when I'm exercising.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I love my FT40. I suggest deciding what your price range is. I got mine on EBay for $40 cheaper than anywhere. Definatley get one with a chest strap. They do have a card bra so you don't have to wear the chest strap.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 and love it. It let's you know if are within your target heart rate. You enter in your age, height, weight and sex and it calculates it for you. It also saves your last several workouts.
  • pyroxian
    Options
    I don't have one, but, I have been doing lots of research too. You can compare all models here...
    www.polarusa.com/
    I like the FT60, because it has the star coach. Not sure I want to spend that much though!
    LOVE my FT60 - worth every penny.
    If you're not picky about color of the watch, you can probably find one of the less popular colors for considerably less than retail - as an example I got my FT60 for $140 on amazon because I was willing to compromise on color.
  • peteyTwang
    Options
    i went with the FT7 because it's a little less ugly :bigsmile:
  • peteyTwang
    Options
    i went with the FT7 because it's a little less ugly :bigsmile:
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7
    -you can enter your age weight etc and it will adjust the calories you burn based on age gender etc.
    -You can store up to a week of exercise...or more..can't remember
    -you can set alarms for your min and maximum heart rate, or you can go with what it sets for you
    -you can buy a sensor that allows you to upload your data directly to an account on Polar's website that is free with the purchase and it will chart your results/progress for you
    I don't think you can do that with the F4 or F6

I found for the money it was enough of an hrm for me. Just remember when they say to wet the sensor strap down they really mean it. It will not connect or it may drop the signal if you dont do it properly.

I really like mine it is the second polar hrm I have had in over 10 years so i would say it is a good product

hope that helps

I went up to this model because I don't want to have to replace a strap or a "thing" when the battery is bad. It seemed like a midrange with enough of my must have's.